Picking My Ammo - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Picking My Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
I'm shooting a bolt gun so all ammo will run flawlessly for me.
I have a bolt action rimfire where nothing runs flawlessly. It has a problem with light strikes.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3041 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranc2 View Post
what about everything else? really curious about the rws. everything i have shot from them was awesome but never 22lr. I am just looking for one that shoots really well and pretty good so i can do lots of shooting.
It's been a few years since I've much to do with it, but RWS was typically excellent stuff.
Bear in mind that even the very best ammo will have lot to lot variations. When it came time to buy more match ammo, my dad would buy a few boxes ea. of various offerings. The after a couple extensive ammo testing sessions, he would then order a case or two of the winning stuff. There were times when the RWS won. There were other times that Eley Tenex or Black Box won. CCI Green Tag came out on top a couple times as well. That was especially gratifying because it was significantly cheaper that many of the alternatives.
FWIW, the log book is a good idea.
NRA Life Member

How will we know it's time to gather up the pitchforks & torches and start assembling the guillotine on the DC mall?

Old 12-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1380 Posts
Likes Given: 766

Just plain ole CCI mini mags are more accurate than I am. But the only time I use a bench and sandbag is to set the sights/scope on a rifle. Leaning on a tree I can cut my 75 yard groups down to hitting a 2" target every time. Leaning on a tree is good practice. In hunting or outdoor self defense situation a tree is all you get in this area.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #24

Liked 738 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 770

CCI also shoot well in all 4 .22lr we have. 2 single shot bolt guns and 2 semi auto's, a Marlin 60 and a Winchester 190. CCI subsonic LR are exceptional. Both semi's function w/ them also. The odd ammo that shoots very well, an ammo that I've used for 40 years is Winchester wildcat. Not easy to find these days. When I find it I by bricks. Aguila eley primed is very good, even their Centurian is good for squirrels out to 75 yards.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Really if you want to find the best ammo for your CZ 455 Varmint you have to compete. Once you get into competition and are accepted by the competitors they will start sharing their secrets. They might not put you on the very best ammo but they will narrow it down to just a few choices. Just your normal practice will find the best ammo once you have it narrowed down to the couple brands that are competitive.

Lapuna rimfire ammo has won gold medals. But in Olympic events Lapuna might have specified. Many Olympic shooting events specify the gun and ammo that is to be used. In fact, competitors have to buy their ammo from the Olympic committee. The Olympic officials take every measure to make sure everyone is shooting what they specify.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:12 AM   #26

Liked 738 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Really if you want to find the best ammo for your CZ 455 Varmint you have to compete. Once you get into competition and are accepted by the competitors they will start sharing their secrets. They might not put you on the very best ammo but they will narrow it down to just a few choices. Just your normal practice will find the best ammo once you have it narrowed down to the couple brands that are competitive.

Lapuna rimfire ammo has won gold medals. But in Olympic events Lapuna might have specified. Many Olympic shooting events specify the gun and ammo that is to be used. In fact, competitors have to buy their ammo from the Olympic committee. The Olympic officials take every measure to make sure everyone is shooting what they specify.
Most NRA Smallbore is done w/ iron sights. Olympic shooters use iron sights. The 455 does not have iron sights.
Lapua does make great ammo. When I shot Smallbore, your ammo was included in the entrance fee.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:59 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Most NRA Smallbore is done w/ iron sights. Olympic shooters use iron sights. The 455 does not have iron sights.
Lapua does make great ammo. When I shot Smallbore, your ammo was included in the entrance fee.
My bad! I didn't know that anyone made a rimfire without open sights. I guess you learn something every day. Kind of silly to make a gun with a practical range of 100 yards without open sights. I won't buy a centerfire rifle without open sights much less a rimfire.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:10 AM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

the 455 varmint doesnt have iron sights. the 455s that dont have bull barrels do have iron sights.

as for the ammo..
eley sport shot good enough at 50yrds i bought 2 bricks of it. however not near as good at 100yrds. on the big side of 1/2 inch at 50 and the small side of 2.5 inchs at 100yrd.

eley target (yellow box) shoots real good. serveral 3 shot groups of 3/8 inch at 50yrds. and just under 2 inchs at 100yrd.

eley team (orange box) best group of all. one 3 shot group of 5/16 inch at 50yrds and serveral more groups of 3/8 too. right at 1.5inchs at 100yrds.

groups at 100yrds were of at least 15 rounds. it was also a windy day which may have pushed some at 100yrds and i am far from perfect. it was still an awesome day at the range and the little rifle and i are shooting better. still going to try the rws out and maybe cci green tag.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:04 AM   #29

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Are you aware that you really need to shoot about a box of ammo through a barrel before the lube is totally in place? Every bullet has different lube and if you switch back and forth between brands instead of settling in on a single brand and letting the lube catch up with the bullets then you really won't learn what you need to know about a particular brand of ammo. And it is also true that lots of ammo make a difference. I've seen incredible differences between one box of ammo and the next even though both were the same brand and type.

There's a lot to working out the best load for a rifle especially a rimfire.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I was setting up my 10/22 yesterday. I was just using plain old round nose CCI mini-mags. The rifle is shooting half inch groups off a sandbag at 50 yards. There was a steady wind blowing all day long. Today we are expecting winds up to 40 mph. I am pretty sure it will do the same or better. The ammo I used yesterday had sit around so long the lubricant had dried up.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato