Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Picking My Ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/picking-my-ammo-74991/)

Olympus 10-25-2012 03:05 AM

Well I decided to experiment with my CZ 455 Varmint to see what ammo it likes the best. I went to Midway and browsed through their .22LR ammo and picked 6 different brands of match/target ammo. I bought 100 rounds of each brand so hopefully that will be enough to tell which one shoots the best.

I've got approximately 1000 rounds through my 455 and I figure that the barrel has been broken in sufficiently and things have settled in as far as they'll go. I ordered the ammo from Midway yesterday and it was sitting on my front door when I got home from work today. Hopefully I'll have to some good weather this weekend and I can start putting some groups on paper to and measuring.

Anyone have any guesses on what will shoot best?
Wolf Match
Aguila Match Rifle
Aguila Target Rifle
SK Target
Eley Target (Yellow Box)
RWS Match Target

SSGN_Doc 10-25-2012 03:58 AM

A lot can have to do with the rum thickness your gun likes. I have a 10/22 that does great with Wolf match, RWS, and Eley match pistol. I did a similar process of trying different loads.

hiwall 10-25-2012 04:26 AM

when testing different 22 ammo I always include CCi green tag as I have found most 22's shoot it well.

pranc2 10-26-2012 05:02 AM

awesome.. i would love to hear how well it all does. i just got the same rifle and waiting on the scope from midway now. It will be a few weeks before i can go out and start testing as well. i called CZusa and they told me that their testing has been best with two eley,s the black and the purple box as well as wolf match grade. i even asked about RWS but they hadnt shot any.
as well i have more input and your choice in ammo is very close to what my will be.. My buddy whose kimber cv .22 started my love for .22 bolt actions and bull barrels told me that he would sell that gun to me and me only because he knew how much i love shooting it. he didnt really want to sell it for the same reason but when i came across the cz 455 varmint i called to get his stamp of approval. he told me that was one beautiful rifle and i should get it and put the same scope as is one the kimber for a few hundred less. so thats what i did. :D he has had the kimber for almost 10 years and has done much ammo checking in the matter. he would use black eley if he was shooting a match but most of the time just jacking around he would shoot auguila rifle match and match blue and black boxs because they are eley primed and alot cheaper. the auguila will have a few more flingers. Wolf shot as tight as groups as eley but still more flingers than eley. hope it helps and cant wait to hear what you come up with.

Olympus 10-26-2012 08:50 PM

I might get to shoot this weekend if the wind lies and I get done cleaning out woods. I will provide updates.

big shrek 10-26-2012 11:19 PM

Since each rifle is slightly different, even if you had two or three of the same side-by-side, you would likely get slightly different results from each rifle.

I've got ten .22 rifles, each does well with certain brands, but dang near every one likes something different.
Use a LOG BOOK...log your groups, wind conditions, distance, ammo...clean between ammo types,
at least run a boresnake/patchworm down the barrel...in this way you won't color the results from box to box...
and I fire at least 50 shots when testing varieties of ammo...groups tend to tighten up as you foul...
but you want all the same fouling from THAT particular brand of ammo,
NOT a mix of fouling, as it will skew your results.

Olympus 10-28-2012 01:16 AM

Scratch the SK ammo off the list. It wouldn't even group as tight as the Eley Sport ammo I was using for practice.

pranc2 10-28-2012 03:08 AM

what about everything else? really curious about the rws. everything i have shot from them was awesome but never 22lr. I am just looking for one that shoots really well and pretty good so i can do lots of shooting.:D

willfully armed 10-28-2012 07:50 PM

Rem subsonic holds very tight groups in my Marlin.

SSGN_Doc 10-28-2012 07:59 PM

Yeah, I'd be interested in hearing your results as well with each of the brands you tried. I haven't figured out who makes Wolf match .22 ammo yet but figured it would either be SK or RWS since it is a German manufactured round.