Peening Dovetail action hold down thread base

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Peening Dovetail action hold down thread base

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 05:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Peening Dovetail action hold down thread base

Hello, i was wondering if it would help accurize my new Marlin 982VS-CF .22 magnum rifle if I peened the dovetail action holdown thread base that slides into dovetail on barrel to keep it from sliding around? If so what is the proper peening technique?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If it's loose enough to where you can slide it easily, I'd peen it. Take the base out, strike it (dovetail) lightly with a brass hammer on both "sides" (front & rear), then drive it back in. Make SURE you don't peen it too much & to get the base centered properly when you're done. It would also help to CAREFULLY use a bit of glass bedding.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-23-2009, 11:45 PM   #3

Thank you for reply stalkingbear, i will go ahead and peen it and reinstall after my paint job is fully dry.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2730 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I prefer to use a center punch and peen the flat under the dovetail not the ears. This method is generally more controllable, the ears can be resistant to movement and then bend drastically. Cosmetically the center punch method is invisible.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball