Only 1 .22 rifle. Semi, bolt or lever? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Only 1 .22 rifle. Semi, bolt or lever?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

lever. seems like it fits my setup and usage better. only reason i dont have one yet is because i spend all my gun money feeding my 60

Old 08-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Although I have lots of 10/22s and variants, and a Henry lever action, If I could only have one, it would have to be a bolt. They just never get old and keep on working.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:09 AM   #13

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
I DO have some Remington 550-1s that can cycle with shorts, longs, long rifles- but that is rare for an auto.
I have a 550-1 that my grandfather gave me when I was younger. So I would vote for it if the only .22 rifle was a semi. Pretty accurate and the ability to feed long and shorts is nice.

I would vote for a Henry lever action also.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON View Post
wow. i didn't finish. and i want that time i just wasted back. I was hoping for at least a pic of Bea Arthur in her undies .

Last edited by cameronguyton; 08-19-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:10 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 65 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Henry nuff said!

My readings of history convinces me that most bad government results from to much government.....Thomas Jefferson
Being Ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn............Benjamin Franklin
If Barack Obama is the answer, the how damn stupid was the question.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:29 AM   #15

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If a person can only afford one .22 then I'd get a Marlin 60 over a Ruger 10/22 every day of the week. Rugers are really only good when you build them up. Marlins come good out of the box without having to add better parts.

As for lever guns shooting shorts, longs and LR's there are bolt action rifles that do that too. IMO a lever gun is an obsolete design. Sure a few people can practice for years and shoot them really fast but anyone can shoot a semi-auto fast.

And for me if I could only have one rifle it would be a semi-auto. There are things you can do with a SA that you just can't do with any other type of rifle. Bolt action guns are clearly more accurate but not by a huge margin. Most 60's shoot very accurate and a really well modded Ruger can shoot with all but the very best bolt action guns. But the main thing for me is that I can pepper a pack of wild dogs with a SA and you can't do that with a bolt action or at least not nearly as well. I can drop wild dogs like flies with a SA. And if you have a pack of dogs chasing your wife's cat it's a good idea to shoot as many as possible. Not only that but those dogs could end up chasing people. That can end very badly too. Plus there's other things a SA will do. You can knock down your daily limit of tree rats from one tree with a SA. That's not so easy to do with a bolt gun either. You can nail a nest of varmints in a hurry too. No sense letting a few rats get away. I've never actually had to shoot rats anywhere near my house but if I did I'd want a SA.

Plus in a pinch a SA is a far better SD weapon than a bolt gun. Spray someone with .22 LR ammo and it will get their attention. Most people can shoot a SA at about 4 times the rate of a bolt gun.

I could talk about the night I stood face to face with a rabid fox. It was just at the end of my Marlin 60 barrel. I fired round after round into it's head from point blank range. I shot it at least 8 times and I did it while holding the gun down where I could use it to push the fox away from me if it made a move toward me. The thing just stood there growling at me through the whole ordeal. It didn't even seem to notice I was shooting it. That was really weird. I know I was hitting it in the brain. I had the barrel against it's head. That was one weird night. You can't do that with a bolt gun nearly as well. It should have killed that fox but rabies is one strange disease and it makes animals keep going in an almost zombie like state.

Yeah I would take a Marlin 60 as my only .22 rifle. In fact I did buy one as one of just two .22's I had. The other was a single shot, bolt action gun which is accurate as heck but has it's limitations. A SA is only limited by the number of rounds it holds. For those who would prefer a box mag a Marlin 795 would be an excellent choice.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2950 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post
If a person can only afford one .22 then I'd get a Marlin 60 over a Ruger 10/22 every day of the week. Rugers are really only good when you build them up. Marlins come good out of the box without having to add better parts.

As for lever guns shooting shorts, longs and LR's there are bolt action rifles that do that too. IMO a lever gun is an obsolete design. Sure a few people can practice for years and shoot them really fast but anyone can shoot a semi-auto fast.

And for me if I could only have one rifle it would be a semi-auto. There are things you can do with a SA that you just can't do with any other type of rifle. Bolt action guns are clearly more accurate but not by a huge margin. Most 60's shoot very accurate and a really well modded Ruger can shoot with all but the very best bolt action guns. But the main thing for me is that I can pepper a pack of wild dogs with a SA and you can't do that with a bolt action or at least not nearly as well. I can drop wild dogs like flies with a SA. And if you have a pack of dogs chasing your wife's cat it's a good idea to shoot as many as possible. Not only that but those dogs could end up chasing people. That can end very badly too. Plus there's other things a SA will do. You can knock down your daily limit of tree rats from one tree with a SA. That's not so easy to do with a bolt gun either. You can nail a nest of varmints in a hurry too. No sense letting a few rats get away. I've never actually had to shoot rats anywhere near my house but if I did I'd want a SA.

Plus in a pinch a SA is a far better SD weapon than a bolt gun. Spray someone with .22 LR ammo and it will get their attention. Most people can shoot a SA at about 4 times the rate of a bolt gun.

I could talk about the night I stood face to face with a rabid fox. It was just at the end of my Marlin 60 barrel. I fired round after round into it's head from point blank range. I shot it at least 8 times and I did it while holding the gun down where I could use it to push the fox away from me if it made a move toward me. The thing just stood there growling at me through the whole ordeal. It didn't even seem to notice I was shooting it. That was really weird. I know I was hitting it in the brain. I had the barrel against it's head. That was one weird night. You can't do that with a bolt gun nearly as well. It should have killed that fox but rabies is one strange disease and it makes animals keep going in an almost zombie like state.

Yeah I would take a Marlin 60 as my only .22 rifle. In fact I did buy one as one of just two .22's I had. The other was a single shot, bolt action gun which is accurate as heck but has it's limitations. A SA is only limited by the number of rounds it holds. For those who would prefer a box mag a Marlin 795 would be an excellent choice.
If feral dogs are a common problem around your parts, you might want to think about upping your caliber. You're asking a lot from a .22.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 08-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #17

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts

Much as I like my Ruger 10/22, if I was limited to one rimfire rifle it would probably be a bolt-action.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #18

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

A bolt, simple, reliable, and accurate

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:01 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I own 2 sa rimfire rifles (10/22's ) If I had to pick only one rifle I'd go with my CZ 452 American bolt action.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:49 AM   #20

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

I don't think I said anything about feral dogs being common but I have seen them. And trust me, I have larger caliber rifles. I've never had a problem with killing a dog with a .22 though. In my entire life I've only shot 2 that didn't die on the first shot and that was because both turned their head just as I fired. No I don't go looking for dogs to shoot but people have this thing of dropping off dogs in the country thinking someone will adopt them. I'd much rather be shooting those people to be honest but the law frowns on that. I shoot those dogs to put them out of their misery especially now that there is no longer a dog pound in my county. They all starve to death so if you're one of those people who drop dogs off pay attention. I'd rather put them out of their misery than watch them starve and go through that phase when they are desperately hungry and apt to do about anything.

At any rate a single shot to the brain stem of a dog is going to kill that dog. I've shot probably 50 in my life (and hated it every time I had to do it). I've had neighbors ask me to get rid of feral dogs and things like that which accounts for part of the reason I've shot so many. I've also shot half starved dogs that come to my house and threaten my dogs and my children while they are stealing my food I give to my dogs. I warned their owners but that didn't help.

I've been chased by packs of feral dogs too while riding my ATV. And I know a person who kept a bunch of dogs around his place to protect his "cash crop" and they ended up killing a census worker. Note I didn't say I was friends with that person.

I've shot as many as 5 dogs in a pack in just a few minutes with a .22 and every dog died quickly. Some of them were 50 yards away when I shot them. A .22 works just fine on dogs. And a .22 semi-auto works better than a .22 bolt action IMO. I have a pretty good collection of .22's including a CZ 453 and a Marln 60SS. If I had to keep just one it would be the Marlin.

Last edited by Jeff56; 08-20-2012 at 01:52 AM.
big shrek Likes This