Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Old gun front sight height question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Old gun front sight height question

So I bought an old .22 a few months ago and never couldnt figure out why it wouldnt shoot high enough even with all the adjustment used in the rear sight. Turns out the front post is broken so clean you can barely tell.

I can not figure out how high the front sight post should be.
The gun is a tube fed Hawthorn Warrior which is some 1940s or 1950s Mossberg variant. Model 820B

Here is the broken part on the gun

Anyways I cant for the life of me find a replacement part so I was going to put a new ramp on. I do not know if the screw holes will work together, and if they dont I can tig it on.

Anyways I was thinking this ramp

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/928082/marbles-front-sight-ramp-100-height-375-dovetail-slot-for-625-barrel-steel-blue

But still dont know how high of a front sight to get.

Barrel measures .628 diameter, and the current sight height plus the barrel is .861 which means I have a sight height of .233 inches. Not sure how to figure out how much taller it needs to be to get it to factory height. Does anyone have any idea? Obviously I need to net a height higher than .233 of an inch but I dont know if I should guess and get as close as I can to .300, or double it which I imagine would e a .5 inch sight height?

If anyone could help that would be great, thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #2

Liked 629 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Try this---
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=13186/GunTechdetail/Sight-Height-Calculator

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 05-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7585 Times on 3302 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

IF that is a Mossberg, contact Vic Havlin at havlinsales.com. Vic and his wife Cheryl are THE go-to folks on anything Mossberg. Run the Mossberg Collectors Society among other things. MIGHT find you an original sight. Nice folks, too.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That is awesome, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
IF that is a Mossberg, contact Vic Havlin at havlinsales.com. Vic and his wife Cheryl are THE go-to folks on anything Mossberg. Run the Mossberg Collectors Society among other things. MIGHT find you an original sight. Nice folks, too.
I will have to try that,thanks!