Old Browning .22 Shorts Only
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Old Browning .22 Shorts Only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Old Browning .22 Shorts Only

Way back in 1955 or 1956 I bought a Browning semi auto rifle that fires "shorts only." I can't remember what I paid for it, I was just a kid, perhaps $80. I can find no information on this rifle. The serial number is A2848. Can anyone help me? Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #2

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I grew up with one that took Long Rifles. Dad bought it for me when I was 3. I traded it back to him when I was about 11 for a Winchester. He sold it just before he died. They're made in Japan now.

Browning Take Down 22 Long Rifle, Sale Rack Gun Library : Cabela's : Cabela's

Old 07-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1494

Vegas- that is not a lot of info to go on- but if this rifle had a very slender forearm, loaded thru the butt, those were beautiful (and rather pricy for a .22) The later serial numbers did not use an A prefix, so I am guessing that you have an eary version. Link for ya: 22 Semi-Auto Rifle

And of course, you can always contact Browning.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #4

Remington began the production of the Mdl 24 based on the Browning patent in the early 1900s sometime around 1916 or so if my memory serves me right. I have one made in 1925 that came down through my family. I first shot it when I was 4 or 5 in about 1945. It has a serial number located on the base of the barrel where it joins the stock portion at take down. It had a very small Schnabel for arm. In about 1934, Remington updated model and it was longer with a larger forearm. More like the Browning that would eventually be imported. Remington ceased production of the rifle sometime in the 40s. I don't have access to my notes right now. Browning did begin importation in 1954 of the FN Belgium production but with Browning as the Mfr. The wheel-sight is one of the more sought after Belgium made Brownings of the late 50-s to early 60's. Mine (wheel sight) was made in 1959. I bought it new in a hardware store in Missouri in 1960 or 1961 for less than $75 dollars. I shot a lot of rabbits with that .22 while I was in college. The SA or ATD as they are usually called, are one of the finest semiautos ever made. DF

Old 07-29-2010, 06:23 PM   #5

Oh, did they also make them in LR too? My friend has one, they eat ANY 22lr you feed them, he had the break down model though. He asked for a little research on the rifle several months back; as I recall from 1956-74 they were made by FN in Belgium, then from 76' on by a B.C. Miroku in Japan. The finishes start with a lightly engraved receiver and parts of the wood work checkered to highly polished walnut with a beaver-tail fore grip and a heavily engraved receiver

An Ameture does it until they can get it right, a Pro does it until they can't get it wrong