Old 22 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Old 22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 511 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 236

A couple of years ago I was in a Pa. gun shop and was lucky enough to pick up a Winchester model 62 pump mfg. in 1937. It's not the gallery gun that only shoots .22short. It shoots .22short, long and long rifle. It had been refinished and #8 engraved by person unknown. What a beautiful job? When I picked it up I couldn't put it down. I seen others similar that went for over $1000 and this one I was able to get for $475 tax included and all out the door. I felt like a thief. They even gave me a gun sock to carry it out.

I've been wanting this type of pump ever since I was a kid at the Coney Island shooting gallery. I've passed many of them up before over the years, cause stupidly I considered .22's a kid's gun. Well after wanting it for over 50 years I decided I was the kid that was gonna buy it and haven't regretted it since.

This one was in like new condition and the fanciest one I've ever held. People at the range even take notice of it while I'm shooting. To me it's like shooting a pellet rifle and brings me back so much happiness that I experienced years ago that I've almost forgotten. I'm also very impressed with it's accuracy. I contacted Buffalo Bill Historical Center for a letter, but was told their records for that period of time was lost in a fire. Too bad. These rifles are becoming very scarce, especially in good condition, so I wouldn't delay too long in locating one if it's your desire to own an original, which is rising in cost. Here's a few photos of mine.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #12

Liked 699 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 1107

I'm going to guess that the peep sight was an after market item. Williams peep sights have been popular add ons for a long time.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #13

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Remington made a pump action 22 also. I was lucky a while back to run into one of the 121 Fieldmaster rifles a couple years ago. The prices on any of the pump 22's does seem to fluctuate a good bit but they are great to have and shoot.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
At least my puppy loves me.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1886 Times on 1044 Posts
Likes Given: 5664

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherkip View Post
You ought to try the pistol laws, 3or4 months for a purchase permit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Better idea- I live in Virginia. Purchase process is 3-4 MINUTES!.
With my WA CPL and the insta check, yeah 3-4 minutes for large capacity semi-auto pistol. Funny thing is we seem to have less crime than those states with the whacked out laws written by extremely whaced out liberal politicians.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #15
At least my puppy loves me.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1886 Times on 1044 Posts
Likes Given: 5664

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
A couple of years ago I was in a Pa. gun shop and was lucky enough to pick up a Winchester model 62 pump mfg. in 1937......

This one was in like new condition and the fanciest one I've ever held. People at the range even take notice of it while I'm shooting.
That's great. I'm glad that it get's out and has a chance to see people, and not just the inside of a safe.

It is beautiful.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #16

Likes Given: 1

gunsmoke11
For a serious collector,the refinish and re-bluing probably hurt the value quite a bit.From my 2010 edition of Standard Cat. of Firearms,a pre-war 62 in that condition(VG-Exc),but original,would be around $1250,a post-war around $500.I wonder when it was mfrd.
I have an '06,the version that the 62 replaced,in similar shape.

winchester-06-1-003.jpg  

Old 11-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #17

Likes Given: 1

By the way,for the OP,Marlin also made .22 pumps back in that period.Not as common as the Winchesters.
But,the Winchester '06 standard finish model,had an optional Lyman rear tang sight available.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:07 AM   #18

Liked 511 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2231 View Post
gunsmoke11
For a serious collector,the refinish and re-bluing probably hurt the value quite a bit.From my 2010 edition of Standard Cat. of Firearms,a pre-war 62 in that condition(VG-Exc),but original,would be around $1250,a post-war around $500.I wonder when it was mfrd.
I have an '06,the version that the 62 replaced,in similar shape.
I consider myself to be a serious collector and normally refinishing will hurt value, but there's no way a gun can be engraved without refinishing. When it was engraved is impossible to know, but I'd rather have it engraved this way than plain, cause the cost of quality engraving and re-bluing would be very costly regardless who did it. Mine has 99% finish, which is about mint though not original. I've seen a couple over the past 2 years that sold in like new original unfired condition in the box for near $7000. Mine is worth a bit more now then if it had been left alone. I've seen these rifles selling with non factory engraving from well over $1000 to over $3000. The upper price being known engravers. Besides, if mine wasn't touched in original condition the price wouldn't have been what I paid, which was shockingly reasonable as far as I'm concerned. Even when wrecked these rifles sell for over $250.

I've seen many Winchester 22 pumps over the years, but only a few that were engraved. The price I paid would normally get a Rossi or Taurus copy, which a serious collector wouldn't be interested in. I have a number of engraved handguns, rifles and shotguns, but this little .22 is something I wanted since I was a kid, but for some stupid reason never bought one before. Then again, I never would've gotten one as pretty as this and this is one gun regardless of how pristine it looks I've been enjoying while shooting.

I also like the 1890 and '06 as well, especially the .22 short gallery version.

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 11-19-2012 at 08:50 AM.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:17 AM   #19

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

There was many pump 22's made in that time period by many manufacturers. It may be worth many hundreds of dollars or it might be worth less than the rear sight.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.