Oh! Henry!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Oh! Henry!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 04:26 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Oh! Henry!

Blame it on Cabela's; those sneaky-snakes sent a Fall sale flyer to my house (MY HOUSE!) full of tempting deals on new guns (Oh! The Humanity!). And one of them was my not-so-secret temptation, the Henry Golden Boy .22LR lever action rifle! I didn't have a chance! Oh, I pretended that the trip to that store was so my son could get a new range bag before we went shooting with the Grandkids, but I knew what my subconscious had in mind...
While he shopped in the bag section and my Granddaughter found a new Browning eye & ears set in PINK, the Grandson and I moseyed over to the rimfire counter and casually took a ticket. When my number was called (was up?) I pretended casual interest; "Yes, could we get a look at one of those Henrys? The brass-mounted one I think..." Just like I was checking it out for Grandson Garrett, (whose getting a new Sig 1911-22 for Christmas. Shhh, don't let on you know!). As soon as it was in my hands and I swung the lever I knew that I was hooked; all I had to do was say the words: "I think I..er, we will take one of these," trying hard not to giggle with joy. Garrett gave me a puzzled look since he knew the Henry was not for him...yet...for a long time, I hope. The rest of the rigamarole was something of a blur (I had my Henry!!!), but it took only slightly less time than it took to get my Top-Secret-Codeword security clearance for the Army (and I have a CCFL which should cut down the check-time!), but we were soon on our way to the range. Yes, it shoots just as sweet as you have heard; yes, the brass gleams as brightly and the walnut glows as softly as you have heard; and yes, I let the other members of the family shoot it some. But this little rifle, like my 1911 and Puma 1873-SAA, is now a part of my heart; more than the Glock or the S&W or the Charter Pathfinder or the AR, it meets a deep need in my grown-up-little-kid-playing-cowboy soul for the firearms of my childhood heroes (even if they are in .22LR instead of 30-30 or .45 LC). So if there is a gun out there that even resembles the gun you wished you had back when you still believed in wishes; go get the thing! You can't always count on somebody sending you a sale flyer...

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

Last edited by OldEagleEars; 10-13-2012 at 04:30 AM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7132 Times on 4293 Posts
Likes Given: 8662

Lucky you. You got yourself a nice, new rifle. Have fun with it.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How much was it? I've been keeping an eye out for one.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thats a beautiful story...can't wait for the movie to come out so I can take my wife and show her how important buying the next gun is. I love my Henry rimfire frontier with the octogon barrel ....next is the Golden Boy in .22mag. Of all the guns I own my .22's are by far my favorite. I realize they will not take down a bear or a drug induced home invador, but I grew up shooting cans, squirrels and various other things with my dad's single shot .22 bolt action Winchester. I hope to make those same memories for my children and grandchildren. I also hope to own a Single Six someday so I can complete my western collection. I really hope Cabelas doesn't send me those $20 off coupons again ....I think my wife hides them.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #5

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Congrats! I'm now officially green with envy!
I think we're gonna need some pics.

-Matt

Old 10-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7132 Times on 4293 Posts
Likes Given: 8662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguns View Post
Congrats! I'm now officially green with envy!
I think we're gonna need some pics.
Yes. We need pictures. I want a Henry Lever, too. Just can't scrape up the money right now. But I will own one someday.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:39 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

For Zombiegirl: Cabela's had it for $399; about $415 with tax. MSRP is in the five-hundreds. Cabela's price was $40 off their regular list. Blueguns and Winds-of-change, please be patient. It was all I could do not to take the thing to bed with me last night like I did my first Red Ryder B-B gun (age 8). Today was dark and stormy here and the Henry cries out for outdoor pictures, perhaps paired with my Puma .22 SAA wheel-gun. I will confess; the thought of a Golden Boy in 30-30 crossed my little mind but it was a whole lot more money and my opportunities to shoot it would be far less. Heck, I can shoot my .22 at the local indoor-range! I can report that with my artificially-lensed eyes (double-cataract surgery), I managed a string of five bulls on an 8-inch pistol target at fifteen-yards without having zeroed the Henry. It was literally out-of-the-box! Pictures within the week, folks.

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

Old 10-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #8

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike
I really hope Cabelas doesn't send me those $20 off coupons again ....I think my wife hides them.
I KNOW that my wife tries to throw away the cabelas fliers before I see them. When I started pulling them from the trash, she started shoving them down deeper. Now I just get the mail first (when I am home and can do so) and stash the fliers in my truck! Lol

To the OP congrats on the new gun. Sounds like you are a very happy owner. Can't wait to see pics.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #9

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default O'Henry

Ya know I have had that happen to me numerous times. Cliff

Old 10-15-2012, 04:41 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I had a few minutes this afternoon so I took some pictures of the Henry in it's natural habitat. I will have more later this week if the weather cooperates because this is just about the most photogenic firearm I have! I'm even thinking about building a glass-enclosed case for it to hang on the wall; the ones that H.R.A.Co. sells don't have glass and cannot be easily adapted. Now let's see if I can get this photo stuff to work....

golden-boy0001_2.jpg  

axxe55 Likes This