Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Oh! Henry! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/oh-henry-74231/)

OldEagleEars 10-13-2012 04:26 AM

Oh! Henry!

Blame it on Cabela's; those sneaky-snakes sent a Fall sale flyer to my house (MY HOUSE!) full of tempting deals on new guns (Oh! The Humanity!). And one of them was my not-so-secret temptation, the Henry Golden Boy .22LR lever action rifle! I didn't have a chance! Oh, I pretended that the trip to that store was so my son could get a new range bag before we went shooting with the Grandkids, but I knew what my subconscious had in mind...
While he shopped in the bag section and my Granddaughter found a new Browning eye & ears set in PINK, the Grandson and I moseyed over to the rimfire counter and casually took a ticket. When my number was called (was up?) I pretended casual interest; "Yes, could we get a look at one of those Henrys? The brass-mounted one I think..." Just like I was checking it out for Grandson Garrett, (whose getting a new Sig 1911-22 for Christmas. Shhh, don't let on you know!). As soon as it was in my hands and I swung the lever I knew that I was hooked; all I had to do was say the words: "I think I..er, we will take one of these," trying hard not to giggle with joy. Garrett gave me a puzzled look since he knew the Henry was not for him...yet...for a long time, I hope. The rest of the rigamarole was something of a blur (I had my Henry!!!), but it took only slightly less time than it took to get my Top-Secret-Codeword security clearance for the Army (and I have a CCFL which should cut down the check-time!), but we were soon on our way to the range. Yes, it shoots just as sweet as you have heard; yes, the brass gleams as brightly and the walnut glows as softly as you have heard; and yes, I let the other members of the family shoot it some. But this little rifle, like my 1911 and Puma 1873-SAA, is now a part of my heart; more than the Glock or the S&W or the Charter Pathfinder or the AR, it meets a deep need in my grown-up-little-kid-playing-cowboy soul for the firearms of my childhood heroes (even if they are in .22LR instead of 30-30 or .45 LC). So if there is a gun out there that even resembles the gun you wished you had back when you still believed in wishes; go get the thing! You can't always count on somebody sending you a sale flyer...

winds-of-change 10-13-2012 05:29 AM

Lucky you. You got yourself a nice, new rifle. Have fun with it.

Zombiegirl 10-13-2012 05:56 AM

How much was it? I've been keeping an eye out for one.

northhike 10-13-2012 12:24 PM

Thats a beautiful story...can't wait for the movie to come out so I can take my wife and show her how important buying the next gun is. :D I love my Henry rimfire frontier with the octogon barrel ....next is the Golden Boy in .22mag. Of all the guns I own my .22's are by far my favorite. I realize they will not take down a bear or a drug induced home invador, but I grew up shooting cans, squirrels and various other things with my dad's single shot .22 bolt action Winchester. I hope to make those same memories for my children and grandchildren. I also hope to own a Single Six someday so I can complete my western collection. I really hope Cabelas doesn't send me those $20 off coupons again ;)....I think my wife hides them. :p:D

Blueguns 10-13-2012 03:48 PM

Congrats! I'm now officially green with envy! :D
I think we're gonna need some pics.

winds-of-change 10-13-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueguns (Post 975151)
Congrats! I'm now officially green with envy! :D
I think we're gonna need some pics.

Yes. We need pictures. I want a Henry Lever, too. Just can't scrape up the money right now. But I will own one someday.

OldEagleEars 10-14-2012 04:39 AM

For Zombiegirl: Cabela's had it for $399; about $415 with tax. MSRP is in the five-hundreds. Cabela's price was $40 off their regular list. Blueguns and Winds-of-change, please be patient. It was all I could do not to take the thing to bed with me last night like I did my first Red Ryder B-B gun (age 8). Today was dark and stormy here and the Henry cries out for outdoor pictures, perhaps paired with my Puma .22 SAA wheel-gun. I will confess; the thought of a Golden Boy in 30-30 crossed my little mind but it was a whole lot more money and my opportunities to shoot it would be far less. Heck, I can shoot my .22 at the local indoor-range! I can report that with my artificially-lensed eyes (double-cataract surgery), I managed a string of five bulls on an 8-inch pistol target at fifteen-yards without having zeroed the Henry. It was literally out-of-the-box! Pictures within the week, folks.

Centurian22 10-14-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northhike
I really hope Cabelas doesn't send me those $20 off coupons again ;)....I think my wife hides them. :p:D

I KNOW that my wife tries to throw away the cabelas fliers before I see them. When I started pulling them from the trash, she started shoving them down deeper. Now I just get the mail first (when I am home and can do so) and stash the fliers in my truck! Lol

To the OP congrats on the new gun. Sounds like you are a very happy owner. Can't wait to see pics.

mrt8110 10-14-2012 10:46 PM

O'Henry

Ya know I have had that happen to me numerous times. :) Cliff

OldEagleEars 10-15-2012 04:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had a few minutes this afternoon so I took some pictures of the Henry in it's natural habitat. I will have more later this week if the weather cooperates because this is just about the most photogenic firearm I have! I'm even thinking about building a glass-enclosed case for it to hang on the wall; the ones that H.R.A.Co. sells don't have glass and cannot be easily adapted. Now let's see if I can get this photo stuff to work....