You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

Offhand supporting arm position.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by montveil View Post
One has to consider ones body dimensions as we are not all the same. You may have to try different positions and find the one best for you.
I bet the ideal shooter's body dimensions would look something like a neanderthal. Long arms and a short torso. That does not describe me though so I improvise by doing the leaning back thing, making a firm skeletal triangular frame. I was taught how to do it by a competitive shooter, which might be what it takes to learn. It is very unnatural but at the same time effective.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2339 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 5778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I bet the ideal shooter's body dimensions would look something like a neanderthal. Long arms and a short torso. That does not describe me though so I improvise by doing the leaning back thing, making a firm skeletal triangular frame. I was taught how to do it by a competitive shooter, which might be what it takes to learn. It is very unnatural but at the same time effective.
I learned the same position on the rifle team in high school. The neanderthal body doesn't help much (that is my body type), at least with standing. My upper body and chest has always been much larger than my lower body and hips. As a result, my elbow cannot physically reach my hip (my upper body is just too wide). On the plus side tough, I still had great skeletal support despite my elbow not resting on my hip. The left side of my chest still completely supports my left arm.

Vinvine, here is a link that covers the basics. Notice the hand in the photo is almost directly under the action (were the clips is). If that paerson leaned back a little more and didn't have a 1" recoil pad his hand might clear the clip? Wide hips also help. Our best shooter in the standing position was a girl, and she had really nice "hips". http://weihrauchowners.freeforums.org/download/file.php?id=7

Old 02-22-2012, 01:15 AM   #13

Liked 1917 Times on 992 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Thanks for the link. It is better than the others I found. I can’t help noticing that in the close-ups of the supporting hand position (pg. 21, illus. 1-5) the rifle does not have a magazine. The only position that would work if it did was figure 5, but then it wouldn’t be an air rifle.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2339 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 5778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Thanks for the link. It is better than the others I found. I can’t help noticing that in the close-ups of the supporting hand position (pg. 21, illus. 1-5) the rifle does not have a magazine. The only position that would work if it did was figure 5, but then it wouldn’t be an air rifle.
I'm guessing that the majority of pure target rifles are single shot? Having a clip wouldn't prevent it from being a good target rifle though.