Offhand supporting arm position.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Offhand supporting arm position.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Default Offhand supporting arm position.

I’m new to this. I’m investigating a .22lr trainer purchase. I shouldered a few .22s yesterday (no sling). If I brace my support elbow against my body, my hand falls right where the magazine is. If I move my hand forward the magazine, my elbow is hanging out in air and I lose the support of my body. What am I doing wrong? Or is that the nature of the beast?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #2

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Try using a sling with a cuff that straps around your biceps. This will give you good triangulated support in the off hand as well as sitting, kneeling, and prone unsupported positions.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #3

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

I'm sure a lot of more experienced shooters will have a much better answer for you than me...but here's my .02...I've always thought rifle shooting offhanded, unless absolutely neccesary is a waste of ammo. A sling might help to stabilize things by wrapping it once around your wrist/forearm. If you were to hunt, for example, you can use a tree or a rock, or shoot from the prone position to gain stability, a bipod is great for prone shooting. At the range, there is usually some kind of tabletop to use. Shot my 10/22 yesterday and nary a shot did I take without some kind of support. I know it's just cheapo .22 ammo but I think it's a good habit to get into first.

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 02-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #4

Yes, shooting supported or with a sling is certainly much easier and produces better results. I still would like to be able to shoot offhand. I’m just not comfortable doing it without my supporting bicep braced against my body. I’d like to know how people with magazine fed rifles do it.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here are a few sites that explain the proper use of a sling.
A hasty sling will be of great help offhand.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/shooting_tips/sling_0612/

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

In about all positions of shooting you use a sling in off hand it is not necessary cause it really does no good cause you move around at the waist and shoulder etc if it helped they would allow it at competition shoots and military doesn't train off hand with slings now you need to use your skeletal structure to support you not muscle if you use your muscles you will not be able to hold still and you always have arc of movement need to minimize it and time it for your shot that takes practice and allot of it there are books and videos to help Dave Tubbs has a good book out or may find something on you tube good luck and practice

Old 02-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1228 Times on 791 Posts
Likes Given: 2480

The sling helps, but like cbibb said you want to build a good position using skeletal structure first. It sounds like that's what you were doing but the magazine was in the way. In the standing position you want to shift your upper body away from the target. That lets you plant your elbow firmly on your left hip with your forearm perpendicularity to the ground. Shifting back a little further with your upper body should slide the gun further back and slide the magazine further back for clearance. But it will feel awkward, or at least it always did to me.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:38 AM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8276 Times on 4782 Posts
Likes Given: 10702

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
The sling helps, but like cbibb said you want to build a good position using skeletal structure first. It sounds like that's what you were doing but the magazine was in the way. In the standing position you want to shift your upper body away from the target. That lets you plant your elbow firmly on your left hip with your forearm perpendicularity to the ground. Shifting back a little further with your upper body should slide the gun further back and slide the magazine further back for clearance. But it will feel awkward, or at least it always did to me.
^^^This^^^

It will feel awkward at first but with practice it will become natural.

Another thing is when I am hunting rabbits I shoot before I have a chance to get wiggly. The longer you take to acquire the target the more you get the shakes. I think shooting skeet helps to learn this? Never thought about it until now.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
It will feel awkward at first but with practice it will become natural.
So, I’ve been looking at photos and diagrams and videos of standing shooters, biathlon and others, and I couldn’t find any close ups of the supporting hand position. What I do see are rifles with forestocks thick enough to bury the magazine, or rifles with support handles descending from the forestock. I did see a poor diagram depicting a figure supporting the rifle’s forestock way forward and bending way ‘backward’ at the waist in order to get the support elbow on the ribcage/hip like 'TLuker' & 'Vikingdad' suggest. That just doesn’t seem stable or repeatable to me.

I also saw one diagram that displays making a 'bridge' under the magazine with one’s fingers on the forestock and the thumb on the trigger guard. It got me thinking; I’ll see if I can fit just the web between my thumb & index in to the space between the trigger guard and the magazine. I don't remember if I've already tried that at the store. I've been trying to rest the forestock in the palm of my hand without success.

I have been favoring the Savage Mark IIs because of the out of the box accuracy, but maybe rotary magazine Ruger 10/22 is required?

Last edited by Vincine; 02-21-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One has to consider ones body dimensions as we are not all the same. You may have to try different positions and find the one best for you.

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.