Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Oddly occuring jams.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Oddly occuring jams.

I've recently been using a Ruger 10/22 with Aguila Super Colibri ammunition for discrete backyard plinking, And I've been noticing that while the ammunition will reliably cycle by hand when unfired, when I do fire it, the brass will remain in the chamber and will require dropping the magazine and several attempts of racking the bolt back and forth to extract. I'm not sure what's going on, because I've fired CCI CB Longs through a magazine manually operating the action, CB Shorts handloaded into the chamber, and all sorts of regularly cycling ammunition ranging from 1300+ fps Federals to Stingers with maybe a jam or three per trip to the shooting range. I'm considering buying a new VQ extractor, but that doesn't really add up with the near-flawless functioning of all other ammunition. Any advice would be apprieciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-30-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2581 Times on 1356 Posts
Likes Given: 197

Default jams

If it is a new occurrence then I would assume it formerly worked fine?
I have found the primary problem with malfunctions in firearms especially .22 rimfires is dirt. A good deep cleaning would be the first step. Get the gunk out of the extractor groove in the back of the barrel. It kinid of creeps up on you and starts to cause problems.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'd guess it is due to the subsonics. If it's a new rifle, it may feed better when it gets broken in, but it may just not like the subs.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:25 PM   #4

My 10/22 and my buddies 10/22 both do the same thing with the subs. 10/22's just don't seem to function fully with that ammo.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:11 PM   #5

I did what was recommended and performed a full clean; no difference in operation with the Super Colibri. I developed a theory as to the cause, actually. With the CB Longs and Shorts, the recoil is capable of cycling the bolt about 1/4 to 1/6th of the way backwards. Not enough to extract the casing and chamber a fresh round, obviously, but I'm thinking that the recoil has to unseat the casing somewhat out of the chamber, so the extractor can grab the rim, as per normal operation with the gun. It's just that with the low power rounds, the bolt has to be manipulated manually for extraction and rechambering. With the Super Colibri rounds, there's very little or no rearward motion of the bolt at all, so that may explain why I have to pry the casing out with a screwdriver, or attempt to extract it five or six times before it comes out. If a new extractor doesn't fix the issue, I'll just go back to the CB Longs and deal with the little extra noise, I suppose. It's just irritating that I purchased two cases of these and they won't perform reliably. Thanks for the help, though. If there's anything I haven't thought of, please let me know.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:47 PM   #6

I'm use to my Browning .22 partially ejecting CB caps, but catching the case with the slide before it clears. I only use the CB caps a couple of times a year, so haven't thought that much about it.

I wonder if buying a couple of extra recoil springs and tinkering with removing coils in a scientific manner would work for you? Maybe start with the original first. Just a thought.

I know my Buckmark initially wouldn't reliably eject standard velocity .22s. They'd barely clear the chamber if they made it at all. After a few hundred rounds, it was throwing them 5 or six feet, which I would attribute mostly to the recoil spring "relaxing".

Old 11-05-2007, 05:23 AM   #7

Just wanted to clear up that in the first sentence I am talking about a Browning .22 rifle if it makes any difference. I noticed that I drifted into talking about a Buckmark, which is also a Browning, but a pistol.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #8

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I think you are on the right track with the ammo not cycling the bolt at all. Leaving the case sort of welded to the chamber. This seams plausable to me. Because even in bolt guns you turn the case firat before removing it. therefor breaking any bond that might have happend.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:21 PM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

When it happens, drop the magazine but don't clear the action. Take it to a good gunsmith with spent case in the chamber and have it checked. Using quality ammo, you shouldn't be getting any jams or failures to extract from a 10/22 that is cleaned properly.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 11-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I put the VQ extractors in both my 10/22's and they cycle CCI subsonics fine. If you want to be quiet, you need to get a suppressor. My pellet rifle is louder than my suppressed .22's, rifles or pistols if you use subs or standard velocity rounds. As long as they're legal in your state, they're not as hard to get as alot of people make it out to be.