Now I must have one... - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Now I must have one...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 12:30 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
Glen,
I have owned several of both through the years and still do. I would still opt for the 10/22 for an all around .22 semi-auto for hunting, plinking or competition. I know a lot of shooters out there love the 60 and it's variants, but I have had to repair far more of them than any other semi-auto .22 combined, for developing feed problems of one sort or another. Once they start to wear, the become very finicky on the type of ammo you try to feed them. I have also had many, many 60s come to me in a paper bag to be put back together because the owners took the fire control group apart and could not re-assemble it (very common thing to happen). I think stalkingbear has had his fair share come through for repair also....

Just my 2-cents....................

Jim........................
Thank you Jim, since I am NOT an expert, I will go with the 10/22... I just want it to "bang" every time... as does my wife, she LOVES to shoot .22 so does my daughter, both a driving force in my choice to get a .22 rifle... we will shoot as a family, they are looking forward to it.

No offense aimed or intended to anyone that loves the 60's .22s. Everything I get has one purpose, go bang when asked, work for me though im not an expert... I CAN aim, but I am not a gun expert...

glenthoughts
http://glenthoughts.blogspot.com

My .45 is a part of me, I trust it with my life, and train with it. First one to the giblets wins. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 10-25-2009, 12:36 PM   #22

Hi glen, the only Marlin I've ever owned was a 336C in 30-30, Great rifle, so I can't comment on the mod 60 22lr., - but you are talking about getting a Ruger 10/22 anyway and they happen to be a weakness of mine.

They are so darn versatile, nowdays you can buy just about any configuration you need right from Ruger or pick up a carbine and turn it into a 200 yd beer can killer with very little effort.

I bought my first one around 1970 and can count the total number of jams I've had with ALL of them, on one hand. Great rifles! By the way, your buddy has very good taste, really like the look of that stainless carbine in your pic!

Old 10-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #23

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You're right about that Jim! I've had dozens of them (model 60s) come to me. I've just about quit even talking against them however because everybody thinks I'm biased toward the 10/22-I am but for good reason. The newer model 60s are MUCH better than the old 1s but still not a 10/22 reliability wise. Most marlins will shoot very good out of box (accuracy wise), but what you get out of box you're pretty much stuck with as opposed to 10/22s that can be built/personalized into anything you want. To me, the 10/22 is the .22 rimfire version of an AR-the possibilities are endless.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-26-2009, 01:40 AM   #24

Another good thing about the 10/22 is the fact that you can buy a new barrel and charging handle and shoot the .17 Mach2.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-31-2009, 07:52 AM   #25

Communist 10 day waiting period started today at 12:30

I now have over 200+ bucks less in my wallet and a piece of paper...

The piece of paper says I will have a box stock Ruger 10/22 on Oct 9th... @ 12:30pm...

EVERYONE has seen what it looks like, it is NOT the cool stainless I am shooting in that pic, (that one does look cool with the matching scope).

Mine is blued, iron sights, wood stock, and I will be posting pics... WAY proud and very excited to own my first rifle, in my life... dern near 50 years old...

waiting.... tic tic tic....

glenthoughts

My .45 is a part of me, I trust it with my life, and train with it. First one to the giblets wins. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 10-31-2009, 07:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
Another good thing about the 10/22 is the fact that you can buy a new barrel and charging handle and shoot the .17 Mach2.

-Fred
This seems very interesting, ... does that have to be done by a gunsmith or can a normal human swap them out?

Oh, and Fred, thanks for the ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ link in your sig, it is now on my blog title, very cool...

glenthoughts

Old 10-31-2009, 09:26 AM   #27

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenthoughts View Post
This seems very interesting, ... does that have to be done by a gunsmith or can a normal human swap them out?

Oh, and Fred, thanks for the ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ link in your sig, it is now on my blog title, very cool...
Glen,
It is a user/owner conversion. When you come up to shoot this month, I will show you how simple the conversion will be. I will also take you through a "complete" take down and re-assembly of the 10/22. I may even do your trigger for you. It won't take very long to do a trigger job. You won't be happy with your stock trigger after shooting mine. See ya soon.

Oh, the wife and I get to go to Vegas this weekend compliments of my son Steven. So I won't be on the forum again until Sunday night sometime....

Old 10-31-2009, 04:07 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Have fun Jim, safe home.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-31-2009, 09:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
Glen,
It is a user/owner conversion. When you come up to shoot this month, I will show you how simple the conversion will be. I will also take you through a "complete" take down and re-assembly of the 10/22. I may even do your trigger for you. It won't take very long to do a trigger job. You won't be happy with your stock trigger after shooting mine. See ya soon.

Oh, the wife and I get to go to Vegas this weekend compliments of my son Steven. So I won't be on the forum again until Sunday night sometime....

That is so cool Jim, Steven is a great man, I am glad I know him. You have a fine young man there. Please thank him for me for his service. Have fun... SUPER fun...

Thank you for the offer to help me on the trigger and continuing my training with take-down/cleaning/info on the 10/22. I am looking forward to it with laser like focus...

PS. I remember saying something like "a .22 I don't see the need or the reason" and in your sage wisdom you stayed silent and smiled at me. I guess some things only come with time and a bit of experience.

glenthoughts

Old 11-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #30

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

The 10/22 is the most popular rifle out there with the exception of the AR-15, it shoots .50 moa at 50 yards right out of the box. Most of us want to shoot .50 moa at 100 to 150 yards that's why we change so much of the rifle.

You can spend as little or as much as you want on changing the gun THERE IS A TON of after market products for it. Want a Match Barrel no problem, and YOU can do it yourself, no need for a gun smith. Want different sights, take your choice. Different stocks, has to be 20 or more you can use. Don't like the trigger, no problem just buy a new tirgger assembly. The mag release is too short for you, just change it. It goes on and on. And it does not have to be done all at once, take months or years to accesorize it as you like, lasers, lights, AR stocks, bipods, scopes, muzzle brakes, recoil pads (there is no recoil, but it looks cool). This is your best spent money.

Jim