Now I must have one... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Now I must have one...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

I can understand your point, but how long does it take to load a mag? There are speed loaders for the Marlin 60. Most of the guys I know either are hooked on the 10/22 or Glenfield/Marlin 60. You will find 10/22 owners spend quite a bit to accurize there rifles, while 60 owners shoot them as is with great accuracy. I can say that my 60 has terrible open sights, front blade is way to wide for target or hunting. I put a 3-9x32 rimfire scope on it years ago and it is a great shooter. Rifle, sling and scope cost about $150.00 20 years ago and it is still going strong. You may want to check out pawn shops and gun shops for whatever rifle you decide on, used. The newer 10/22's have allot of plastic compared w/ older ones. You may find yourself w/ an all together different rifle. I went out to buy my son a .22 for his 12th birthday. I came home w/ a Winchester 190 and a 20ga shotgun for him for $200.00. After hours of cleaning the 190 I put a 4x32 rimfire scope on it. It is a very nice and accurate rifle, but looked a little rough when I picked it up.
If you look at the center rifle in the pic it is a 1954 Savage. It has the JC Higgens tag on it from Sears. It is a very accurate rifle and they can be found for $50.00 these days. This one was my Dads. I've shot woodchucks out to 100 yards w/ it w/ open sights.
The bottom rifle is a Browning A-bolt .22 WMR Gold medallion. The same rifle was made in .22lr. Mine will put 5 rounds in a 3/4" circle, dead bull at 100 yards. It is great for Vermin head shots out to 120 yards. It wears an old Bushnell 3-9x40mm w/ amber-glow optics. A .17 HMR maybe another good choice if distance is a must. I have a Marlin 917V w/ an old 6-24x40mmAO scope on it for Vermin out to 150+ yards. There are so many choices, you really need to look around and decide what you want the rifle for and what will suit your needs best. If NRA smallbore shooting is possible, or hunting. A bolt gun such as a Mossberg M44 would be perfect. Fun gun or hunting shorter ranges, the 60 or 10/22. Good luck and have fun. JP

Old 10-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just because you hate the 10/22 don't mean the Marlin is better. You need to clarify that it's better IN YOUR OPINION as you CANNOT prove that for fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I hate the 10/22. A Marlin 60 is much better.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-24-2009, 12:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I can understand your point, but how long does it take to load a mag? There are speed loaders for the Marlin 60. Most of the guys I know either are hooked on the 10/22 or Glenfield/Marlin 60. You will find 10/22 owners spend quite a bit to accurize there rifles, while 60 owners shoot them as is with great accuracy. I can say that my 60 has terrible open sights, front blade is way to wide for target or hunting. I put a 3-9x32 rimfire scope on it years ago and it is a great shooter. Rifle, sling and scope cost about $150.00 20 years ago and it is still going strong. You may want to check out pawn shops and gun shops for whatever rifle you decide on, used. The newer 10/22's have allot of plastic compared w/ older ones. You may find yourself w/ an all together different rifle. I went out to buy my son a .22 for his 12th birthday. I came home w/ a Winchester 190 and a 20ga shotgun for him for $200.00. After hours of cleaning the 190 I put a 4x32 rimfire scope on it. It is a very nice and accurate rifle, but looked a little rough when I picked it up.
If you look at the center rifle in the pic it is a 1954 Savage. It has the JC Higgens tag on it from Sears. It is a very accurate rifle and they can be found for $50.00 these days. This one was my Dads. I've shot woodchucks out to 100 yards w/ it w/ open sights.
The bottom rifle is a Browning A-bolt .22 WMR Gold medallion. The same rifle was made in .22lr. Mine will put 5 rounds in a 3/4" circle, dead bull at 100 yards. It is great for Vermin head shots out to 120 yards. It wears an old Bushnell 3-9x40mm w/ amber-glow optics. A .17 HMR maybe another good choice if distance is a must. I have a Marlin 917V w/ an old 6-24x40mmAO scope on it for Vermin out to 150+ yards. There are so many choices, you really need to look around and decide what you want the rifle for and what will suit your needs best. If NRA smallbore shooting is possible, or hunting. A bolt gun such as a Mossberg M44 would be perfect. Fun gun or hunting shorter ranges, the 60 or 10/22. Good luck and have fun. JP
Thank you for the information, good reading... I am reading and learning much, this will be my first rifle... EVER...

glenthoughts
http://glenthoughts.blogspot.com

My .45 is a part of me, I trust it with my life, and train with it. First one to the giblets wins. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 10-24-2009, 12:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Just because you hate the 10/22 don't mean the Marlin is better. You need to clarify that it's better IN YOUR OPINION as you CANNOT prove that for fact.
I am still leaning toward the 10/22, got a week to go till payday...

glenthoughts

My .45 is a part of me, I trust it with my life, and train with it. First one to the giblets wins. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 10-24-2009, 02:12 AM   #15

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Actually I can say w/ confedence the 60 is better. I've owned both! I've worked on both. I own 1 of the 2... Hmmm wonder why. Ruger flaws.. Bolt, trigger group, recoil system. Nothing is sqaure!
Here are the scematic prints for both.
Marlin & Glenfield*|*60 NEW MODEL*|*e-GunParts.com
*|*e-GunParts.com
The 10/22 is way to complex a trigger assembly for a simple .22 rifle. It suffers from the same quality issues as the Mini 14 that always has a canted gas block. If Ruger would ever get the bugs out they would have the #1 .22 on the market, but so many folks spend hundreds to accurize them, why should they? Many of the $800.00 variety shoot no better than my aging Marlin 60 that cost $110.00. That is a fact! Granted, I can only buy scopes and stocks. But, playing pimp my gun has never been my style. I shoot and hunt. Just my humble opinion. JP

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 10-24-2009 at 02:14 AM.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:23 AM   #16

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenthoughts View Post
I checked and the Marlin 60 goes for about 165 bucks, some more some less.

The only thing I don't like on it is the tube. The ruger can swap out mags...

I do not know enough about either one to make any more comparisons, input is welcome from others.

I am still leaning toward the Ruger because of the ease of loading and reloading via clip. The one I shot functioned perfectly was box stock and amazingly accurate...
Glen,

Here's a 42 year old Marlin 60. Can't beat it for fun, but the Ruger is a better competition buy.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/my-tango-plunkungfest-westeren-auto-120-a-14041/#post107914

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-24-2009, 02:29 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyb13 View Post
And $500.00 worth of modifications later. You'll still love it. They are addictive as crap.
eeeuuu...exactly. once the trigger group, the new bull barrel, bolt release..etcetcetc swapped, you'll love it even more.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Glen,

Here's a 42 year old Marlin 60. Can't beat it for fun, but the Ruger is a better competition buy.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/my-tango-plunkungfest-westeren-auto-120-a-14041/#post107914
THAT is an awesome writeup...

Now you guys are confusing the new guy here.

masterPsmith gets the final word, what say yeee?
I have seen him shoot, he trained me to shoot, (very few I meet now out shoot me with a handgun) and I have seen his groups on paper and in person, as well as I have seen his work first hand smithing...

(Jim, do you mind if I post a link to you doing 12 shots of .45 on 6 targets through two stacked windows with no misses in a few seconds?)

glenthoughts

Old 10-24-2009, 09:47 PM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The Ruger 10/22 is an American Icon....I don't know how anyone could do without.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:25 PM   #20

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenthoughts View Post
THAT is an awesome writeup...

Now you guys are confusing the new guy here.

masterPsmith gets the final word, what say yeee?
I have seen him shoot, he trained me to shoot, (very few I meet now out shoot me with a handgun) and I have seen his groups on paper and in person, as well as I have seen his work first hand smithing...

(Jim, do you mind if I post a link to you doing 12 shots of .45 on 6 targets through two stacked windows with no misses in a few seconds?)
Glen,
I have owned several of both through the years and still do. I would still opt for the 10/22 for an all around .22 semi-auto for hunting, plinking or competition. I know a lot of shooters out there love the 60 and it's variants, but I have had to repair far more of them than any other semi-auto .22 combined, for developing feed problems of one sort or another. Once they start to wear, the become very finicky on the type of ammo you try to feed them. I have also had many, many 60s come to me in a paper bag to be put back together because the owners took the fire control group apart and could not re-assemble it (very common thing to happen). I think stalkingbear has had his fair share come through for repair also....

Just my 2-cents....................

Post away if you want...

Jim.....................