Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Newfound respect for 22LR power (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/newfound-respect-22lr-power-81774/)

chloeshooter 01-18-2013 10:37 PM

Newfound respect for 22LR power

5 Attachment(s)
I often joke around about the 22lr being a "squirrel round". Not my first choice for self defense. So today I set up 8 books totaling 4.25" thick. You can see the entrance shot and the exit shot, which was not intended to go thru George's head. Shot was from 5 ft using cheap ammo 40g

chloeshooter 01-18-2013 10:40 PM

I was going to add, considering the speed of fire you can attain with a 10/22, this could really be a problem for an assailant inside 50 yards without armor. I should stop making fun of one of my favorite rifles!

Muliemaster 01-19-2013 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chloeshooter (Post 1099784)
I was going to add, considering the speed of fire you can attain with a 10/22, this could really be a problem for an assailant inside 50 yards without armor. I should stop making fun of one of my favorite rifles!

People have killed many elk an black bear with a 22, people seem to think that its to weak to even kill a coyote, what a joke, its not the best choice true but a 22 pill goin 1250 fps is gonna kill you, period. Head shots are the best.

dteed4094 01-19-2013 02:04 AM

A large percent of people dangerously under estimate the power of a 22lr. A lot of people have been killed for just that reason, and many more purposely. The Ruger Mk 1 was known as the asassins favorite among hired killers.

mrt8110 01-21-2013 03:18 PM

Newfound respect for 22LR power

Glad you now know what many of us already know. A .22 long rifle is incredible cartridge.:) Cliff

AR10 01-21-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dteed4094 (Post 1100031)
A large percent of people dangerously under estimate the power of a 22lr. A lot of people have been killed for just that reason, and many more purposely. The Ruger Mk 1 was known as the asassins favorite among hired killers.

I believe it was the straight .22 or the .22 short that was developed as a close proximity assassination round. The LR round is too loud and requires a larger gun to fire from.

OverDraught 01-22-2013 11:08 PM

More than four decades ago I shot a Ruger .22 pistol for the first time. It was in a friend's attic, and he used a hardbound Webster's dictionary for a backstop (my friend wasn't much of a scholar). The shot hit the bullseye, and I was thrilled until I saw that the bullet had gone through the dictionary as well as the wall behind it. I have no idea where it landed, but at least the cops didn't come around.

That was the first and last time I ever screwed up with a firearm.

cgersty 01-23-2013 12:01 AM

I think the 22 is very underestimated and being one of the first cartridges ever I'm sure its probably killed more people than any others but who knows, here a lot of poachers are caught shooting deer with em, I mean look at swamp people, headshot instantly kills big alligators, I don't know bout anyone else but I wouldn't want to be shot at by one!

danf_fl 01-23-2013 12:14 AM

Were those randomly picked books or some that you had something against?

chloeshooter 01-24-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl
Were those randomly picked books or some that you had something against?

LOL! The books were random but after the fact there is room for interpretation. If I was planning things I would A) not have shot George Washington and B) shot Justin Bieber (and a few others from the political realm and last but not least, Bill Maher)