Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   New Marlin 60's (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/new-marlin-60s-58295/)

tCan 02-20-2012 02:22 AM

New Marlin 60's

My Marlin 60, which I just bought new, has Allen key take down screws. Retarded. I have both a metric and an american set, and neither one seems to fit. Why the change up? I thought they used flat heads...

tCan 02-20-2012 08:09 AM

I did a little reading into the subject, and apparently they went to the hex key because it's easier to install than a standard screw, so they can build them a little bit faster. Understandable. But they chose a 9/64 inch hex screw. That's a specialty size that's not included in most kits. You have to buy it separately. Marlin is going to be getting a phone call from me, that's for sure. It's just dumb of them to do it that way. Pick something everyone is going to have, like a 1/8 inch.

godale 02-20-2012 11:48 AM

i have read different posts that the new are not up to standard with the old ones? whats your feel on this?

orangello 02-20-2012 12:39 PM

Well, maybe it will save you a stock scratch at some point.

Are the recoil buffers better now? Mine had the old white plastic recoil buffer that eventually went to shreds & jammed the action. I ordered a replacement that is supposed to be "updated" and is black in color. Which color buffer did you get?

edit* Mine is from the late 1970's with the 18 round magazine.

sharpshooter1997 02-20-2012 04:14 PM

I have a a Marlin 60 that is over 20 years old and it stacks bullets at 50 yards. The hex key subject is stupid, They should of kept the normal flathead. I can take mine apart with one flathead skrew driver.

tCan 02-20-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 714861)
Well, maybe it will save you a stock scratch at some point.

Are the recoil buffers better now? Mine had the old white plastic recoil buffer that eventually went to shreds & jammed the action. I ordered a replacement that is supposed to be "updated" and is black in color. Which color buffer did you get?

edit* Mine is from the late 1970's with the 18 round magazine.

Mine's a 14 rounder.... I wish I could answer your other question. I can't break it down to look - I dont have the proper size allan key. I looked up what the old style screws cost. It's $20 per.

Quote:

Originally Posted by godale (Post 714836)
i have read different posts that the new are not up to standard with the old ones? whats your feel on this?

The action felt a bit scratchy out of the box. I've added some oil and worked it a bit and it's smoother now. I haven't shot mine yet so I can't say anything to accuracy limits and I don't have a car. Hard for me to get range time. I will say this though. I regret not buying the used one I saw for $120.

orangello 02-20-2012 10:31 PM

Well, if you decide you want to change it up at some point, i like the tech sights "peep sights" on mine. Easy to mount & the rear mounts on the scope mount/top of receiver and can be slid forward or back until you find the right spot for your eyes.

Don't laugh, but a buddy of mine saw it and commented that it looked like a mini M-1 or something. :rolleyes:

http://www.tech-sights.com/marlin.htm

tCan 02-20-2012 10:49 PM

From what I can tell of the sights now, without having shot it, I like the sights. I actually like them better than the sights on our Marlin 39A (which now has a scope on it, much to my dismay). The trigger is a different story. I'll do something with it eventually. It's like 7 pounds, but breaks crisply enough. Not a big deal though, I'm practiced with my pellet gun, which has probably a 15 pound trigger with the longest pull through you ever want to run into.

big shrek 02-21-2012 12:39 AM

The Hex key is supposed to be IN THE BOX! So make sure you check those boxes...

And if its not there, call Marlin, tell 'em its not there, and they'll send you one.

As far as the Trigger, Rimfire Central has the most comprehensive mods on that anywhere...even Marlin Owners ain't got all that's on RFC.

tCan 02-21-2012 01:29 AM

I found the piece of cardboard that holds the key, but not the key. I got the floor model at a gun show, so they probably forgot to include it. I'll give 'em a call.