New M&P 15-22 On the way !!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > New M&P 15-22 On the way !!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Default New M&P 15-22 On the way !!

After careful consideration, i finally pulled the trigger and purchased myself an M&P 15-22, MOE version in the flat dark earth. Ordered if offline, so I am waiting on it to come on. Very excited about this purchase.

Question: It has the Magpul sights on it and I have a cheap red dot laying around that I would not mind putting on this rifle. I would like to be able to do view the sights with the red dot mounted... (forgot what that term is called)... would i need some kind of riser for my red dot?

Also, any ammo recommendations for this firearm that it likes best?

I appreciate any help and input !

mp22fde.png  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #2

Howdy,
congrats on choosing a fine rifle. I have had mine now for 3 weeks and love it. I have shot Federal and Blazer ammo, about 500 rounds through it and have not had one failure to fire or failure to eject. The manual that comes with it says to avoid Remington ammo. I tried a red dot on mine and couldnt get a good sight picture because of the straight stock. I think one with a taller mount would work. I have 5 10-22s and have stocks with drop down tail pieces and they work fine. Enjoy the new rifle. Have a goodun!!!!!!

Old 01-19-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2289 Times on 1239 Posts
Likes Given: 669

Yes you will need a riser or a red dot that is set up for an AR. I used a long riser so I could mount a scope or a red dot. They will hold zero pretty well when you switch them.
AR-15/M16 Picatinny Riser Mount New Target Sports

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
Yes you will need a riser or a red dot that is set up for an AR. I used a long riser so I could mount a scope or a red dot. They will hold zero pretty well when you switch them.
AR-15/M16 Picatinny Riser Mount New Target Sports
I want to be able to co witness if the battery dies (remember the term now). Can this be done without any kind of riser or anything ?

Last edited by Powersportgiant; 01-19-2012 at 12:32 AM.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You will probably need a medium riser to co-witness with the sights. I have mine set up that and and it is very convenient.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5922 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 417

ive run a LOT of different 22lr through mine including the remington junk. it eats it all. the problem with remingtons is that 15-20% are duds. it isnt that it wont eat them its just really really crappy ammo.

blazer is the unplated version of the cci minimag. cci blazer is the best cheap 22lr out there.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-19-2012, 01:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
ive run a LOT of different 22lr through mine including the remington junk. it eats it all. the problem with remingtons is that 15-20% are duds. it isnt that it wont eat them its just really really crappy ammo.

blazer is the unplated version of the cci minimag. cci blazer is the best cheap 22lr out there.
I will steer clear of the Remington. I have about 10k of the federal bulk stuff so I just wanted to make sure it was good through it.

I appreciate your input JonM, definitely helped me make my decision. Question for you, you have a .22 suppressor right? Thoughts on it ?

Old 01-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

congrats on the new rifle. I love the dark earth, would like one for my own.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingGuy
congrats on the new rifle. I love the dark earth, would like one for my own.
Thanks. Did my first online firearms purchase through Bud's. I have my fingers crossed it all goes smooth.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #10

Howdy,
I was shooting with my lady friend this afternoon. To be safe I had 500 rounds of Federal for the Smith and 599 rounds of the Remington golden bullets for the 10-22. After a few refreshing beverages I decided to try the Remingtons in the Smith. Well, after about 100 rounds I couldnt tell any difference. Not one problem. I am thinking that since Smith and Remington are firearms competitors , maybe it is sales hype not to use the Remington in the Smith. Oh well, just my experience this afternoon. By the way, the Smith never has a problem. Maybe next I will try some Daisy BBs and see how that works out. Have a goodun!!!!!