New to Forum & Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > New to Forum & Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 05:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default New to Forum & Question

Hello All! Just joined the forum.

Question........

I just purchased a Marlin 983s. Love the gun, but want to change the factory sights. I am caught between purchasing a scope or switching to fiber optics for better visability.

My problem is that there are tons of sights and scopes, but how do I know which scope or fiber optic sight system is compatible with my gun?

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-25-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome to the FTF community.

When you get a chance, head over to the New Member section and introduce yourself. In the meantime, someone should be along shortly to give you some answers.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-25-2009, 12:31 PM   #3

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I myself would go with a scope. Something in the 3-9x40mm range. This gives you a scope that zooms from 3 power to 9 power. Get a regular scope not a rimfire scope. You are shooting a 22mag so sight in should be 100 yards.

Something like this should work just fine.

Bushnell 3-9x40 Banner Dusk & Dawn Rifle Scope

This would be my pick.
Weaver 3-9x38 Classic V Rifle Scope

or this one
Nikon 3-9x40 Buckmaster Riflescope

I know the last two are a lot more money than the first. while all three will work the last two will work better than the first one. they will be brighter and clearer than the first. You don't have to worry much about bases because the rifle is grooved meaning it has two groves in the action to accept rings made for that. I love Millet steel rings for my rimfires. In fact both of my rimfire rifles wear millet rings. Millett .22 Caliber Scope 1" Rings

Old 08-25-2009, 03:32 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

I would go with a scope also. And if price is an issue this 4X32 Barska is a bargin Barska 4X32 Huntmaster Riflescope w/ 30/30 Reticle AC10026 Rifle scope. AC10026. Barska Riflescopes.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've got to agree with tango on this-a scope is going to be the only way you'll realize the true accuracy potential of that rifle. It's equipped with "tipoff" 3/8 groove and will accept any rings thus designed. While you won't NEED anything more than a 3x-9x scope, I'd recommend you check out something with a bit more magnification. Not for the added power but so that you'll have adjustable objective, a handy feature for any scope equipped rimfire rifle. A good 4x-12x will be great because you can handily hunt with it turned down to 4x, and target shoot/sight in with it turned up to the upper end. If you find a quality 3x-9x scope with adjustable objective then it'll be just as good.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #6

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts

Thanks alll! This is very helpful. I have been a bowhunter for many years, but my 12 year old son is into guns so I made the switch and now own a 9mm, 20 Gauge for Pheasents and a Marlin 983.

No pun intented....but I am having a "blast." Just need to learn a new language and get up to speed on the gear.