Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   New to Forum & Question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/new-forum-question-17327/)

northhike 08-25-2009 04:30 AM

New to Forum & Question

Hello All! Just joined the forum. :D

Question........

I just purchased a Marlin 983s. Love the gun, but want to change the factory sights. I am caught between purchasing a scope or switching to fiber optics for better visability.

My problem is that there are tons of sights and scopes, but how do I know which scope or fiber optic sight system is compatible with my gun?

Thanks!

CA357 08-25-2009 04:39 AM

Welcome to the FTF community.

When you get a chance, head over to the New Member section and introduce yourself. In the meantime, someone should be along shortly to give you some answers. :cool:

cpttango30 08-25-2009 11:31 AM

I myself would go with a scope. Something in the 3-9x40mm range. This gives you a scope that zooms from 3 power to 9 power. Get a regular scope not a rimfire scope. You are shooting a 22mag so sight in should be 100 yards.

Something like this should work just fine.

Bushnell 3-9x40 Banner Dusk & Dawn Rifle Scope

This would be my pick.
Weaver 3-9x38 Classic V Rifle Scope

or this one
Nikon 3-9x40 Buckmaster Riflescope

I know the last two are a lot more money than the first. while all three will work the last two will work better than the first one. they will be brighter and clearer than the first. You don't have to worry much about bases because the rifle is grooved meaning it has two groves in the action to accept rings made for that. I love Millet steel rings for my rimfires. In fact both of my rimfire rifles wear millet rings. Millett .22 Caliber Scope 1" Rings

dunerunner 08-25-2009 02:32 PM

I would go with a scope also. And if price is an issue this 4X32 Barska is a bargin Barska 4X32 Huntmaster Riflescope w/ 30/30 Reticle AC10026 Rifle scope. AC10026. Barska Riflescopes.

stalkingbear 08-25-2009 02:44 PM

I've got to agree with tango on this-a scope is going to be the only way you'll realize the true accuracy potential of that rifle. It's equipped with "tipoff" 3/8 groove and will accept any rings thus designed. While you won't NEED anything more than a 3x-9x scope, I'd recommend you check out something with a bit more magnification. Not for the added power but so that you'll have adjustable objective, a handy feature for any scope equipped rimfire rifle. A good 4x-12x will be great because you can handily hunt with it turned down to 4x, and target shoot/sight in with it turned up to the upper end. If you find a quality 3x-9x scope with adjustable objective then it'll be just as good.

northhike 08-25-2009 04:32 PM

Thanks alll! This is very helpful. I have been a bowhunter for many years, but my 12 year old son is into guns so I made the switch and now own a 9mm, 20 Gauge for Pheasents and a Marlin 983.

No pun intented....but I am having a "blast." Just need to learn a new language and get up to speed on the gear.