New to forum, New to guns, Need help - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > New to forum, New to guns, Need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 01:51 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 285 Times on 200 Posts

Can't go wrong with the Browning or the Henry. They are both sweet rifles. The stocks on the Henry's look amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 02-10-2014, 03:54 AM   #62

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I m an old timer and have or have had lever, pump, semi auto and bolt action RF 22 rifles. Save up $ 1200 to $ 1400 and get a top quality bolt action rifle with a few extra magazines. Look at Cooper, Anschultz, and CZ bolt action rifles. It will take about $400 for a scope site that has AO.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:01 AM   #63

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsGodAndCountry View Post
reminded of Sheldon Cooper from the Big Bang Theory "learning" how to swim on his apartment floor (from a book, of course)
I'm wondering why you mentioned that episode.....when there is one where Leonard shoots his shoe.....but your point is taken....and as far as the OP......The Henry gets my vote. Just go to where they sell them and work the "silky smooth" action. It's a quality rifle.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:10 AM   #64

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Plus One on the Henry. If you're gonna only own one firearm and its your very first; something that will have lasting quality, cycles quickly enough to get a lot of practice in, is simple enough so that you don't shoot your foot off, and most importantly won't scare your wife so much that she makes you get rid of it. Plus a lot of levers shoot short, long, and long rifle ammo.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #65

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I'll try to add minor differences. The 10/22 mag is excellent and allows for reliable and quick reloads. The 10/22 is fully customizable.
The Savage trigger is the best stock trigger I have used.
The new American trigger is very good.
The Henry can shoot shorts very well. Very quiet.

Jay

Old 02-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #66

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've owned both the MP15-22 and after reading all of the wonderful reviews I bought a high end Ruger 10-22 (SS ITAC).
The SW 15-22 is an absolutely flawless gun. It will shoot any kind of 22LR, even the cheapest stuff with no issues. Push 2 pins out with your fingers and it breaks in half for cleaning--bolt slides right out and easily slides back in. It is one of the easiest guns to clean. Lots of different type mags for it and they all work well. Rails, etc, give you lots of options.
Now for the Ruger 10/22. Nicely made gun, accurate BUT I was getting quite a few fail to ejects and some fail to feeds. Started reading around and it seems that the Ruger is somewhat ammo sensitive and MANY, MANY people swap to an after market extractor. ALSO, although the 10 rd rotary mags are very reliable the 25s have some issues and the after market mags even more issues. It is nowhere near as easy to breakdown/clean as the 15-22. IMO the 10/22 fan club has somewhat lower expectations of the word reliable. Overall, a good gun---just not as good as the S&W.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #67

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I would add that I did add the Volquartzen extracter to two of my rifles that my 3 kids have competed with in 4H CMP rifle for the last 6 years. The new extractors have never failed to feed/eject.

Jay

Old 02-16-2014, 08:46 PM   #68
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3069 Times on 2085 Posts
Likes Given: 657

Default New to forum, New to guns, Need help

I think My NEXT 10/22 Will be a Heavy Barrel Marksman/Sharpshooter Type of Build...
Either the JARD or Elysium Bull Barrel, and a Thumbhole Stock,...Probably in either a Dk. Blue/Black Laminate or Dk.Green/ Black laminate...and a Nice Nikon P-22..

Jay: Check out the Current PODCAST,..we did a Ruger 50th Annv. 10/22 Special Segment,..as well as talk about many other Ruger Products...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 02-17-2014, 12:11 AM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
Now for the Ruger 10/22. Nicely made gun, accurate BUT I was getting quite a few fail to ejects and some fail to feeds. Started reading around and it seems that the Ruger is somewhat ammo sensitive and MANY, MANY people swap to an after market extractor. ALSO, although the 10 rd rotary mags are very reliable the 25s have some issues and the after market mags even more issues. It is nowhere near as easy to breakdown/clean as the 15-22. IMO the 10/22 fan club has somewhat lower expectations of the word reliable. Overall, a good gun---just not as good as the S&W.

Clearly your experience with the 10-22 has been different than mine. I didn't buy one of the high end models. Just have the one my grandpa gave me.

The most cleaning I ever do is running a bore snake through it.

We have one of the Ruger 25 round mags and two of the 10 round mags.

Have never had a single issue with it. I can't give you a round count but we've been shooting it for years. All three mags have run flawlessly as has the gun.

It was time for a new signature. This is what you get.

Always have clean socks.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:38 PM   #70

Liked 258 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallejo View Post
Just got back from Premier Gun Show and the S&W M&P22 seems very very promising. I really liked the way it felt in my hands and I'm warming up to the AR style. What sort of cleaning slots would I need? I have my eyes set on Ballistol and I know of CLB and Hoppes but what other cleaners are there?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Firearms Talk mobile app
Did you ever pick one up ?

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin