Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > New Bottom Metal For the Savage MKII's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New Bottom Metal For the Savage MKII's

The bottom metal on the MKII's is one of the few things wrong with the Savage rifles.

Mine likes more than the recommended 15 inch pounds, but if I go tighter, it bends the metal and can damage the wood.

I have a gunsmith friend who is making 1/8" thick bottom metal for the MKII's now. I put one on mine and it will take the torque without bending or damageing the wood under the metal' if interested, PM me and I can point you in the right direction. it's not my business and I don't want to advertise, I just think it's such a great addition to the MKII that I wanted to pass it on.
I hope this might be a help to us Savage owners. I posted a couple of pics of the bottom metal as well as a pic of my rifle. I'm pretty proud of it as it shoots in the
.1" range, 5 shots at 50 yards on a good shooting day. It's darn hard to beat a Savage for value VS. price.

John K

Last edited by rifleman55; 11-30-2010 at 10:07 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-02-2010, 02:20 AM   #2

Nice rifle. I have a Mark II FVSR, it is a 16" synthetic stock, heavy threaded barrel, and a 22 Sparrow silencer. It is very accurate as well, savage has done a good job with these rifles.
I have also heard of Mark II's called TRSR supposedly a tactical stock and threaded barrel, anyone one seen one?

Old 12-02-2010, 04:00 AM   #3

Yes, I've seen several of them. Great looking rifles. The brake is larger than the barrel and flairs out from it, it looks really nice as does the long rail on top. It will take a regular scope or forward mount optics. Very good design.
Savage has done a wondeful job in building the RF rifles as well as their centerfire rifles.

My only complaint was the thin bottom metal and not enough wood under it on the laminated stocks, and now that has been addressed by the aftermarket.
No more worries of too much torque, bending the plate or breaking the laminated stock.

The Savage rimfires rock.

John K

Old 12-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

That is an excellent idea. My Mk II BV is quite accurate as is, I almost hate to mess with it since I never remove the stock from the action any way.

Maybe your friend can work on a metal trigger guard now?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #5

If the trigger guard is a seperate piece on your rifle, you can buy a matt or polished metal trigger guard directly from Savage.

I can't remember what the trigger guard looks like on your model. If it is removable like mine, you can get one, the Savage metal trigger guards are a little over $20.00.

If these don't work, I'll have to look at the trigger guard on your model. Scott does have a machinest friend with CNC equipment that can make just about anything. It's just hard to convince him to do a project unless he knows there is enough sales and money in it for him to make it worth his while to set up and produce them.

I'm all for it.

John K

Old 12-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I looked on the Savage site & couldn't find any thing. I think mine is a seperate piece.

I was half-joking with my request since I've been looking for a while. One guy made his own, but it's one piece.

Metal Trigger Guard for Mk II

Old 12-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #7

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman55 View Post
If the trigger guard is a seperate piece on your rifle, you can buy a matt or polished metal trigger guard directly from Savage.

I can't remember what the trigger guard looks like on your model. If it is removable like mine, you can get one, the Savage metal trigger guards are a little over $20.00.

John K
Can you provide a part number or phone number to Savage? I ordered the bottom plate, but I do need the metal trigger guard for the rear action screw if I can adopt it to the MKIIg with a little inletting.

Hunters & Anglers: The first environmentalists are still the best!

Old 12-18-2010, 05:56 AM   #8

Their parts and service phone number is on Savages web site.

John K

Old 03-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #9

Default avalability?

where can i get one of these and how much do they cost?

Old 03-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What I did with my MRK II is pillarbed it and glass bed it . The rear action screw was compressing the laminate stock so a pillar there made sence( sp).
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping