Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > NEW AR .22s-S&W vs Colt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 03:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default NEW AR .22s-S&W vs Colt?

Hi, Gun Bunnies-

I was in a Sportsman's Warehouse (man, what a dreamy place!) the other day, and saw the Colt .22 AR clone, marked at $599. As I lovingly caressed it, I began to (already) have some adulterous thoughts, in the form of the S&W version, in the same caliber. Perusing the Smith website (later) I was reminded that their's is (at least) $100 bucks cheaper, the only negatives being the loss of the Colt name (admittedly worth a lot) and a 5-round (30/25) reduction in mag capacity. But, the boys from Mass also give me the advantage of a poly upper/lower (ala Bushmaster's Carbon-15), reducing weight, and removing any worries about (future) potential corrosion.

Can anyone give me any different perspective(s) on this dilemma, or should I just grab the Smith, and (after paying for it, of course) run?

Great test report on it:

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22, AR-15 Style .22 Long Rifle Semi-Automatic Carbine

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Both are fine firearms. The Colt is actually made by Walthers in Germany and besides the dust cover not being functional, for show only, the Colt is as good a choice as there is.

The Smith is also a fine dedicated .22 cal. firearm. Although it's less expensive than the Colt it is becoming a popular choice. The first three we received in stock I sold the first weekend.

You can't beat the .22 and the AR format only makes them more enjoyable to own IMO. Shoot Straight, Stay Safe.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #3

Thanks, Joe-

I assume you own a gun shop, then? Appreciate the input/advice.
How much are you getting for the Smiths? Haven't actually seen one of those,
yet-to get a (firm) price. If you were buying one for personal use, which
would you choose?

.22s go 'pop'!-cheaply (still).

Still Wondering-

Last edited by themanbeau; 09-20-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Added sentence.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I actually work part-time at a firearm store/indoor shooting range. The Smiths are selling for 480.00 ish. I have not shot either firearm, although, I don't think one is better than the other. I have gotten good reviews from customers on both firearms. It just a matter of personal choice.

Let me throw another firearm into the mix. Have you seen the GSG 5 yet? This is another very nice auto-loading 22.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Have you seen the GSG 5 yet
Yes, the Walther, right? What do they go for? And what about that new
10-22/AR? How much for it?

Thanks, again-

Old 09-21-2009, 11:11 PM   #6

I have the Colt and am extremely happy with it. The dust cover is definately NOT just for show. Mine works great and snaps open when I pull the charging handle. My gun is VERY accurate and is one-hole accurate at 25 yards with CCI and Federal ammo. It took me about 500 rounds to properly brake her in. I shot CCI Mini Mags exclusively until then and then started shooting American Eagle stuff. Now mine shoots all brands with no issues EXCEPT Remingtons for some reason. Anyway, I am extremely pleased with the gun and even though the S&W has a great set of features, the Colt is pretty much a mirror of a standard M4....that, the all metal construction (the receiver us aluminum) and the prancing pony logo was why I bought it.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:16 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The Ruger SR22 is a "gussied up" version of the 10/22 so it should be very reliable. The manufacturer website says 625 suggested retail. The link to it is in my thread "new ruger AR".

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-22-2009, 04:58 AM   #8

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I got a S&W 15-22 about a month ago. It cost me $450 (included tax) and I have been VERY happy with it. The rails are standard picatinny and since I had a lot of spare parts from an AR I sold a few years back, I put a few on the S&W. I added a carry handle, rail covers, vertical grip and a sling and that's all I really plan to do. I've shot around 300 rds through it and it is FUN to shoot! I haven't tried any real "target" shooting with it but I can easily hit soda cans at 75 yds all day long with the gun using the iron sights. The photo below is a shot of my gun.

mp1522c.jpg  

Old 09-22-2009, 05:07 AM   #9

Cool gun/pic, RA-

Believe it or not, I know where Longview is, too. I've even BEEN there.
You are the first real, live owner of the S&W version I've had contact with.
Did you make a comparison to the Colt? Or the Walther? I don't think the Ruger
was out then, right?

Do you plan on doing an Appleseed with it? I know that Fred says that .22s
are fine for it. It looks really light, and compact. I think I'm leaning that way,
especially if I can duplicate your price.

Thanks for the good post-

Old 09-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #10

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 89

There were two Colts and the Ruger at the store along with the S&W. I liked the Colt "Tactical" version of the AR-22 and considered buying it. It was almost exactly the same as the S&W but metal. OTOH, it was a good bit heavier then the M&P and cost about $150 more. The weight might be okay with a larger caliber gun but these guns shoot the .22LR. There is literally no recoil to deal with so I prefer the lighter gun. Also, all the controls are functional on the S&W, unlike the Colt. To me, the S&W seemed to be the best buy for the dollar of the three makes so I went with it.

I actually got the gun so my kids and I could both use it. It's light and has the adjustable stock so they can shoot it now but still lengthen the stock as they get bigger.