Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > New 22LR :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New 22LR :)

My wife just bought me a Remington 597 for Father's Day/Birthday. Going to take it out to the range tomorrow, so I'll post pictures and a report. I really liked the heft of it when compared to the comparable rifles. It has a green composite stock and a scope.

I'm sure I'll find out now that they're the worst rifles known to man.

Todd

‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
— Mahatma Ghandi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", page 446

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #2

Good rifle. find a brand of ammo it likes, and you're set.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Hey make sure to take some targets from the FTF monthly fun shoot and post them when your done. There ain't no need to pass up an opportunity to post some groups. The 597 can be a good little rifle. I almost got one last month seen two at Gander for $197 had the gray plastic stock. I was thinking that I could get one work it over a little and paint it up all camo use it as a beater gun.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:00 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I shoot cci mini-mags in mine and have never had a problem.

I polished the guide rods and took a purple wheel to the bolt to make that pot metal thang smoother.

I've been told to get the volquartzen hammer and extractor for optimum performance, but mine is working well for me as I have it. feeds good even in rapid fire.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That's a nice gift and a very thoughtful wife. I've heard only good things about the 597. Of course we'll expect a range report.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-25-2009, 03:00 PM   #6

Ok. Here's the picture of my new rifle. Just got everything boresighted at the local gun shop (he provides this for free to his customers ).

I'll be dragging it out to the range Saturday morning for some testing and hoping to qualify for my long gun status at the range.

‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
— Mahatma Ghandi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", page 446

Old 06-26-2009, 06:19 AM   #7

Very nice looking gun. Remington guns are amazing quality, no doubt. I'm expecting a range report soon.

S.S.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:55 AM   #8

Liked 373 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I have a 597 and I like it. Its my first auto loader ever and it works well. It has a Tasco varmit scope on it and it shoots good at 100 yds. Its fun and like Rem guns. How does the 30 round clips work in these guns?

Old 07-15-2009, 07:00 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have the 30round mags from remington. They are a little tight, but they function well. I've never loaded more than 25rds in mine though and probably won't.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:55 AM   #10

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Congrats

I got mine, the only problem being it liked to vibrate off my 3 day bag after 200 rounds almost straight through, so i got a bipod.
thing goes through a lot of ammo, probably 4000 rounds to it's first(minor) malfunction, which was a combo of really, really cheap ammo from someone i don't remember, and the guide rail's spring advanced past the stopper on the bolt, which caused misfires, leatherman and husky tools(torx bit to break it down) saved the day. my advice is always have a toolset handy, and disassemble it in an enclosed space, just in case. winchester bulk hollowpoints work well in mine, btw, that and the golden bullet, with the factory set sight in, i was hitting soda cans at about 100 yards.

Oh, and clean it Often. 300 rounds it starts to get really dirty but it'll work through 2 boxes of golden bullets by rem before getting bad, but don't do it.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------