Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Needing a little help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/needing-little-help-17999/)

Tintman 09-13-2009 02:46 PM

Needing a little help

Hello everybody. I am searching for some info on a .22 cal rifle that my dad had and let me shoot when I was a little kid. I am not sure of the manufacturer. The main thing I remember was that it was a .22cal bolt action rifle with a "dropdown" or fold down wooden forearm stock. It also had little red and green dots at the safety, that was located right behind the bolt on top of the wood. It was also clip fed that held probably 5 rounds. and it had a heavy cloth sling attached to it.
If anybody can help me out with some pictures and info on it I would be extremely happy.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post

M14sRock 09-13-2009 04:54 PM

Sounds like it might be a Mossberg 352KB.

RL357Mag 09-13-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 159045)
Sounds like it might be a Mossberg 352KB.

That's what I was thinking. I have a Mod. 352KD with a black Zytel fold-down fore end. I believe the earlier models had fold-down fore ends made of wood. It's a 7 shot magazine also, not 5. If I have the time later I'll post a pic. Mine has a safety on the right side rear of the receiver, but my Mossberg .410 Mod. 152K shotgun has the safety lever at the rear of the receiver with red and green dots delineating the "fire" and "safe" positions.

Tintman 09-14-2009 07:21 PM

Thanks for your help folks !
I'm still having trouble finding info on it. I'll keep digging around.
thank's again.

c3shooter 09-14-2009 08:34 PM

Hello. My name is C3, and I am a Mossbergalholic.

Depending on when you were a kid (when I was a kid we used sharp stones) you MAY have been shooting a Mossberg 142. Very light little bolt rifle, fold down forearm, magazine fed, the red/green dots are a feature of Mossys. There is also a semi-auto version called the 152. and later, a 200 series, then a 300 series.

I collect and shoot sevral of these, and they are very sweet little rifles. Grandkids love them.

Take a stroll thru the pictures here, and see if you see yours.

Mossberg 22 LR Models and Specifications

cpttango30 09-14-2009 08:57 PM

352 is what it is.

Damguys site is the best mossberg site out there.

Tintman 09-15-2009 06:19 PM

c3Shooter, I was born in 1962 I started shooting when I was probably 7,
So about 1967. I looked at the pictures and to the best of my ability to think back the model 142A seems to fit the memory. thanks to all you folks for helping me out. I am gonna do my best to get this back as my Dad gave it to my "evil" stepbrother. LOL So if I do get it back i'll take some pictures of it and post them.
thanks again, you people are the best !! and this site rocks with all sorts of good reads and info.
until next time,,, have a great day everybody.

Tintman 09-15-2009 06:26 PM

cpttango30,, It could be the 352K now that I look at it. It's been so long since I had it in my hand. Thanks for your help also.

Tintman 09-15-2009 06:30 PM

well crap,, now that I look again , the 352 is a semi-auto, I distinkly remember the one I shot as a kid was a bolt action.

c3shooter 09-15-2009 10:43 PM

Tintman- the 142 AND the 342 series were bolt actions- take a look at the pics. If the folding forearm was wood, likely a 142, If it was black plastic, the 342 is a likely suspect. These were never quite as popular as the autoloader versions, and so a touch harder to find today. Once in a while you may spot one on auctionarms.com, or gunbroker.com

And if all else fails, check with Cheryl or Vic Havilin at havlinsales.com They are very nice folks, sell parts for Mossys, Vic used to work for Mossberg, and the two of them run the Mossberg Collectos Assoc. If there is a 142/ 342 out there for sale, they would be likely to know about it.

Yes, I have a 142. No. I like my Mossys. :D

Good luck w/ getting rifle back for your Dad.