Need some advice (ruger 10/.22)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Need some advice (ruger 10/.22)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default Need some advice (ruger 10/.22)

Now that I know my ruger 10/.22 fires, i am buying a bunch of cool stuff for it. My first purchase: this A full quad rail system. What do you guys think? Good purchase or waste? Also, what should I do about sights? I do not want a scope, either red dot or iron sight add on like the magpul backup sights, but who wants to pay $100 for plastic? I am happy with the rail purchase but kind of nervous about the sight issue. Reviews says that there is a bit of a visible section of the ruger iron sights but don't expect too much. Please help, I appreciate it!

Molon Labe

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2013, 02:49 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

If it were me, first thing is get the trigger worked on, Just a smoothing out or a drop in to get the pull down to under 3lbs. Sights are second. If you are shooting 25 to 50 yds, irons or red dot kewl, more than 50 yds, get a scope. I take it you have a tactical version or are you trying to make it one, pics will help. Williams makes a nice peep sight, I have it on one of my 10/22's and love it. You can use it in conjuction with a red dot if you put the red dot on a riser. As for putting rails on and making it look evil, make it work smooth and sight in well first, then you can play with the extra weight that doesn't mean much. Just my 2 cents.

Here's the deal -- I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence!!!

Spud9 Gunworks Inc.
www.spud9gunworks.com

Old 02-26-2013, 03:05 AM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1974 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 587

If you want an AR style rifle buy an AR style rifle. You are going to take $250 gun and spend $500 to turn it into a $200 gun. The M&P 15-22 has all the same controls, rails and breaks down the same way as an AR. Easiest semi to clean. I paid $150 for my 10-22 and dropped in a $100 trigger and delrin buffer. The trigger included a new mag release and bolt release. The stock is a Butler Creek that came with it and I modified slightly. It shoots pretty well. I have a TRS25 red dot on it. It came with a 2nd stock that I traded for a new factory barrel.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-26-2013, 03:08 AM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud9
If it were me, first thing is get the trigger worked on, Just a smoothing out or a drop in to get the pull down to under 3lbs. Sights are second. If you are shooting 25 to 50 yds, irons or red dot kewl, more than 50 yds, get a scope. I take it you have a tactical version or are you trying to make it one, pics will help. Williams makes a nice peep sight, I have it on one of my 10/22's and love it. You can use it in conjuction with a red dot if you put the red dot on a riser. As for putting rails on and making it look evil, make it work smooth and sight in well first, then you can play with the extra weight that doesn't mean much. Just my 2 cents.
Good call.. Mine was bought new in 1967 by my father and passed on to me,, great gun but with a trigger job alone would make a huge difference. Factory is a bit stiff.
But IMO , that's all I'd do... I love how light the gun is.
Been thinking about trying to find a 25 round magazine too. Before there gone forever

Old 02-26-2013, 03:12 AM   #5

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

JTJ, may I ask what $100 trigger you're talking about?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 02-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #6

Liked 28 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
JTJ, may I ask what $100 trigger you're talking about?
2nd that. I've been holding off on this due to price, but for $100...

Old 02-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

The first mod I always do to the 10/22 is..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY3BFyknLzo&feature=youtube_gdata_player
An improved trigger and extended mag release would be next. Then maybe the archangel mod if you want tacticool.
Have fun with it.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2033 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud9
Scope for over 50 yards? Good gawd don't tell R Lee, he'll kick you buttl lol

Old 02-28-2013, 02:35 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

With my old eyes I need a l need a little magnification if I want to shoot less than 1 inch groups over 50 yds. You can't hit what you can't see....hehe..

And as for triggers, I do three different type of trigger jobs starting at $40.
www.spud9gunworks.com

$100 isn't out of the question but it all depends on what you want or expect from your gun.

Here's the deal -- I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence!!!

Spud9 Gunworks Inc.
www.spud9gunworks.com

Last edited by Spud9; 02-28-2013 at 02:40 AM.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:46 AM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1974 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 587

http://www.hornetproducts.com/
Hornet trigger.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."