Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Need some advice (ruger 10/.22) (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/need-some-advice-ruger-10-22-a-85180/)

molonlabexx 02-25-2013 10:34 PM

Need some advice (ruger 10/.22)

Now that I know my ruger 10/.22 fires, i am buying a bunch of cool stuff for it. My first purchase: this A full quad rail system. What do you guys think? Good purchase or waste? Also, what should I do about sights? I do not want a scope, either red dot or iron sight add on like the magpul backup sights, but who wants to pay $100 for plastic? I am happy with the rail purchase but kind of nervous about the sight issue. Reviews says that there is a bit of a visible section of the ruger iron sights but don't expect too much. Please help, I appreciate it!

Molon Labe

Spud9 02-26-2013 02:49 AM

If it were me, first thing is get the trigger worked on, Just a smoothing out or a drop in to get the pull down to under 3lbs. Sights are second. If you are shooting 25 to 50 yds, irons or red dot kewl, more than 50 yds, get a scope. I take it you have a tactical version or are you trying to make it one, pics will help. Williams makes a nice peep sight, I have it on one of my 10/22's and love it. You can use it in conjuction with a red dot if you put the red dot on a riser. As for putting rails on and making it look evil, make it work smooth and sight in well first, then you can play with the extra weight that doesn't mean much. Just my 2 cents.

JTJ 02-26-2013 03:05 AM

If you want an AR style rifle buy an AR style rifle. You are going to take $250 gun and spend $500 to turn it into a $200 gun. The M&P 15-22 has all the same controls, rails and breaks down the same way as an AR. Easiest semi to clean. I paid $150 for my 10-22 and dropped in a $100 trigger and delrin buffer. The trigger included a new mag release and bolt release. The stock is a Butler Creek that came with it and I modified slightly. It shoots pretty well. I have a TRS25 red dot on it. It came with a 2nd stock that I traded for a new factory barrel.

gunlinn 02-26-2013 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spud9
If it were me, first thing is get the trigger worked on, Just a smoothing out or a drop in to get the pull down to under 3lbs. Sights are second. If you are shooting 25 to 50 yds, irons or red dot kewl, more than 50 yds, get a scope. I take it you have a tactical version or are you trying to make it one, pics will help. Williams makes a nice peep sight, I have it on one of my 10/22's and love it. You can use it in conjuction with a red dot if you put the red dot on a riser. As for putting rails on and making it look evil, make it work smooth and sight in well first, then you can play with the extra weight that doesn't mean much. Just my 2 cents.

Good call.. Mine was bought new in 1967 by my father and passed on to me,, great gun but with a trigger job alone would make a huge difference. Factory is a bit stiff.
But IMO , that's all I'd do... I love how light the gun is.
Been thinking about trying to find a 25 round magazine too. Before there gone forever

CHLChris 02-26-2013 03:12 AM

JTJ, may I ask what $100 trigger you're talking about?

nixfix 02-26-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHLChris (Post 1154588)
JTJ, may I ask what $100 trigger you're talking about?

2nd that. I've been holding off on this due to price, but for $100...

mountainman13 02-26-2013 12:49 PM

The first mod I always do to the 10/22 is..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY3BFyknLzo&feature=youtube_gdata_player
An improved trigger and extended mag release would be next. Then maybe the archangel mod if you want tacticool.
Have fun with it.

chloeshooter 02-27-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spud9

Scope for over 50 yards? Good gawd don't tell R Lee, he'll kick you buttl lol

Spud9 02-28-2013 02:35 AM

With my old eyes I need a l need a little magnification if I want to shoot less than 1 inch groups over 50 yds. You can't hit what you can't see....hehe..

And as for triggers, I do three different type of trigger jobs starting at $40.
www.spud9gunworks.com

$100 isn't out of the question but it all depends on what you want or expect from your gun.

JTJ 02-28-2013 02:46 AM

http://www.hornetproducts.com/
Hornet trigger.