Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Need Ruger Mark III Disassembly Help Please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I cannot get the pin into the receiver. Just for grins, I took the bolt out and the pin will not go through even then.

I may just take it to a gunsmith and throw myself on his mercy. I'm pissed. I have some gun savvy and not just a little skill. This is frustrating as hell.

Also, the bolt sits slightly off center when it's inserted. If I twist it a bit, it sits correctly. Is it possible I've got a lemon? At this point, I can't help but wonder.

here's a pic:

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I know that the bolt must be pushed forward. I've been doing that.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #23

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

It looks like the half-moon shaped thingy that holds the spring to the bolt has slipped out of place. Take the bolt out and shoot another picture of the top of the bolt...

Old 04-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #24
KMO

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No! Don't hammer it! I think I know where you're hung up. You have the receiver back on the frame, and the bolt back in the receiver, right? Now, you're trying to push the bolt stop pin and mainspring assembly back in place, right? If I'm correct, make sure you put an empty magazine back into the mag well. Now, pull the trigger, and push a small screwdriver up from beneath, pushing the hammer forward completely. Now, try the bolt stop pin and mainspring assembly once again. Before you push the latch closed, make sure you tip the muzzle upward at a 45-degree angle so the hammer strut engages with the mainspring housing properly. Then push the latch closed.

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Last edited by KMO; 04-08-2010 at 08:49 PM.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have done everything suggested and the pin will not go in. At this point I'm thinking of sending it back to Ruger, then selling it and buying a Buckmark. This sucks.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5118 Times on 2664 Posts
Likes Given: 310

i use a small soft hammer to give the thing a smack as in rubber mallet. a few light taps works well to seat it that last little bit. on a new gun or one that hasnt been taken apart the reciever and grip assemblies can be VERRRRRY tight.

as someone else said the recoil spring has to be on the bolt correctly as well. it can be a little finicky to get it centered correctly as it likes to pop off of the other side when brand new.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I don't know what's going on with it. Tapping it doesn't even budge it. It's going back to Ruger.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #28

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

CA, These are optional parts sold aftermarket to help you out....

The first one opens a wider path to the pin hole, the second one allows enough "uumph" to seat the pin. Good luck!

images-1.jpeg  

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I wrapped it, packed it and tomorrow it's going to Ruger. I am mightily pissed. Something has to be out of spec, there's just no way I can be doing it wrong.

I've had tons of help here and watched videos until I'm cross eyed. Back to Ruger it goes.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:02 AM   #30

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I wish we was closer so I could show you how to reassemble it CA357. I have a hard time trying to explain actions into words or I'd give it a shot but they already have given you solid advise.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!