Need Ruger Mark III Disassembly Help Please
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Need Ruger Mark III Disassembly Help Please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Need Ruger Mark III Disassembly Help Please

I have a Mark III that is just a kick in the pants to shoot, but now it needs a proper cleaning. When I flip the lever on the rear of the grip, I can't get it to lever outward. Any ideas?
Thanks.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #2

Liked 1813 Times on 1010 Posts
Likes Given: 1188

I have the 22/45 which I believe is the next model after yours. With mine I flip the lever out GENTLY with a small screwdriver. Then it pivots in the bolt assembly. You pull the assembly straight down. Do you have a book? With mine if you don't have it pointing the right way, up or down, when you reassemble it won't shoot. If you need the book, I could probably scan a few pages for you.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Are you remembering to dry fire it before trying to field strip it? That relieves all the tension on the mainspring and moves the hammer & strut. Call Ruger and request the free manual. Once you have manual in hand it'll be easy IF you go exactly according to directions.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 04-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Duh, I haven't done the dry firing part. It goes against my grain to dry fire a .22. I'll try it now.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #5

Default Ruger field stripping

Step #1 Verify the pistol is unloaded. Open the bolt and inspect the chamber.
Step #2 Insert an empty magazine into the pistol.
Step #3 Squeeze the trigger, listen for the hammer to "click". Note - Hammer must be in the fully up or uncocked position to proceed with the disassembly. Also the pistol's internal locking screw must be turned fully flush with the key to remove Mainspring Housing. (Picture here)

Step #4 Open the mainspring latch and then swing the mainspring housing out of the frame well. (22/45 must remove magazine before unlatching mainspring housing)
Step #5 Pull mainspring housing downwards to remove the bolt stop pin from the recevier. Remove the entire mainspring assemby from the frame.

Step #6 Pull bolt rearwards until it is clear of the receiver. Note - Hammer will now be in the down or cocked position.

Step #7 Remove the magazine from the grip frame. Caution - The receiver will not come off of the frame if a magazine is installed. (22/45 skip to step #8)

Step #8 Slide pistol's receiver forward until it separates from the grip frame. (tap receiver with a mallet if necessary.) Pistol is now field stripped for cleaning or other maintenance.

And reverse process to re-assemble

Old 04-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

That was it. Thanks guys.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It's clean and now I'm reassembling it. The bolt stop won't seat completely. It won't go about the last quarter inch. What am I doing wrong?

Old 04-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #8

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

The strut isn't falling into place in the mainspring carrier. Take it apart again. When reassembling, the bolt goes in, move the hammer all the way forward, hold the gun upside down and reinsert the "lever thingy" thru the bolt into it's hole in the receiver, start to fold the thingy back in while tilting the gun backward (upside down so tilt the barrel up) so the strut tilts back, fold it in all the way and close the lever...

(Since you said Mk III, you'll have to insert the mag to move the hammer forward after installing the bolt. I removed the loaded chamber indicator and the mag disconnect from mine to make it easier))

Last edited by NGIB; 04-02-2010 at 09:03 PM.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
KMO

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Good YouTube Videos on Mark III

When I first ordered my Mark III, I found 3 excellent videos on YouTube by a guy named patriot36. For YouTube videos, he really did an excellent job with lighting, camera work, and a rare articulate narration. These are 3 10-minute videos worth watching...

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 04-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks, I bookmarked the videos.