need a little scope advise
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > need a little scope advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default need a little scope advise

So I just picked up a 10/22 Target model on Tuesday. I was looking at scopes and decided on the Simmons 22 mag 3-9x32 as it got good reviews and definitely wasn't going to break the bank. I shot it for the first time today and put 320 rounds through it. My problem is that after I shoot a couple mags the scope starts to drift forward. At one point the front scope mount was completely off the rail. The thumb screw are as tight as I can get them without snapping the screws. Can this be fixed with some better mounts or rail. Do I have my mounts set to far apart? The mounts came in the package with the scope and the rail is the one that came with the rifle.

~CZ SP-01 Shadow
~Glock 23 Gen 4
~Glock 19 Gen4 FDE
~Sig P6
~Sig P238
~Sig Mosquito
~S&W 686+ Talo 3"
~Sig M400 Enhanced
~Ruger 10/22 Target

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds like you have the tipp off scope rail I would get a weaver slotted style and different rings spacing looked pretty good wider the better for support and cuts down on flexing I know it sounds crazy but they do flex. Shouldn't cost to much. Or you can try a better quality rings.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #3

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 35

When you say you tighten the thumb screws as tight as possible. Is this tightening, with your thumb/finger, OR tightening with a coin/screwdriver tight? Those screws/nut are made of steel and should take quite a bit of force before snapping. I've never had one break in over 40yrs of scope/ring mounting. Had a few cheap ones pull out from the aluminum, but not snap.
Del

Old 11-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman View Post
When you say you tighten the thumb screws as tight as possible. Is this tightening, with your thumb/finger, OR tightening with a coin/screwdriver tight? Those screws/nut are made of steel and should take quite a bit of force before snapping. I've never had one break in over 40yrs of scope/ring mounting. Had a few cheap ones pull out from the aluminum, but not snap.
Del
Just by hand, but I feel like if I go any tighter that its not going to end well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbibb View Post
Sounds like you have the tipp off scope rail I would get a weaver slotted style and different rings spacing looked pretty good wider the better for support and cuts down on flexing I know it sounds crazy but they do flex. Shouldn't cost to much. Or you can try a better quality rings.
I'll have to give that a try. It's not the end of the world since I don't hunt, but it does get a bit annoying having to reposition it. The rings are set as far apart as they can go.

~CZ SP-01 Shadow
~Glock 23 Gen 4
~Glock 19 Gen4 FDE
~Sig P6
~Sig P238
~Sig Mosquito
~S&W 686+ Talo 3"
~Sig M400 Enhanced
~Ruger 10/22 Target

Old 11-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1153 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 691

go ahead and tighten them a little more with a screw driver. you cou also try nail polish on the screws. it sets and adds extra grip. but still easy enough to break free if the need arises.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #6

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

from your picture, it looks like you have a mount with the grooves (picatany-sp?). these are designed to stop what you are describing. the thumb screw should go right above, or through them. try sliding the front ring back until the screw is above one of the grooves. it should lock into place, then adjust the rear ring in the same manner. if they don't then you most likely need new stuff.
either get a mount to fit the scope rings or rings to fit the factory mount. most folks go for new rings. decent rings for picatany mounts run from $10-50 depending on what they are made of. any competent gun shop should be able to help you out for this.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyjoe_99 View Post
from your picture, it looks like you have a mount with the grooves (picatany-sp?). these are designed to stop what you are describing. the thumb screw should go right above, or through them. try sliding the front ring back until the screw is above one of the grooves. it should lock into place, then adjust the rear ring in the same manner. if they don't then you most likely need new stuff.
either get a mount to fit the scope rings or rings to fit the factory mount. most folks go for new rings. decent rings for picatany mounts run from $10-50 depending on what they are made of. any competent gun shop should be able to help you out for this.
That,s what I figured at first, but the rings don't spread out enough to utilize the slots. The rail has the wide part and then a skinnier rail on top, not sure what kind of rail that is called. The rings only spread out enough to use the skinny part on top.

~CZ SP-01 Shadow
~Glock 23 Gen 4
~Glock 19 Gen4 FDE
~Sig P6
~Sig P238
~Sig Mosquito
~S&W 686+ Talo 3"
~Sig M400 Enhanced
~Ruger 10/22 Target

Old 11-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2176 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 643

It is a combination rail. It will take the 3/8" rings or the regular Weaver rings. Get the regular rings that are used on center fire rifles. The lock screws will align with the groves in the top of the base.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
It is a combination rail. It will take the 3/8" rings or the regular Weaver rings. Get the regular rings that are used on center fire rifles. The lock screws will align with the groves in the top of the base.
Great, I'll probably head to my LGS and pick some up. Thanks everyone for the help.

~CZ SP-01 Shadow
~Glock 23 Gen 4
~Glock 19 Gen4 FDE
~Sig P6
~Sig P238
~Sig Mosquito
~S&W 686+ Talo 3"
~Sig M400 Enhanced
~Ruger 10/22 Target