Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   need a little scope advise (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/need-little-scope-advise-76007/)

unit44justin 11-09-2012 07:26 AM

need a little scope advise

So I just picked up a 10/22 Target model on Tuesday. I was looking at scopes and decided on the Simmons 22 mag 3-9x32 as it got good reviews and definitely wasn't going to break the bank. I shot it for the first time today and put 320 rounds through it. My problem is that after I shoot a couple mags the scope starts to drift forward. At one point the front scope mount was completely off the rail. The thumb screw are as tight as I can get them without snapping the screws. Can this be fixed with some better mounts or rail. Do I have my mounts set to far apart? The mounts came in the package with the scope and the rail is the one that came with the rifle.

http://imageshack.us/a/img849/2583/ruger1022.jpg

cbibb 11-09-2012 02:10 PM

Sounds like you have the tipp off scope rail I would get a weaver slotted style and different rings spacing looked pretty good wider the better for support and cuts down on flexing I know it sounds crazy but they do flex. Shouldn't cost to much. Or you can try a better quality rings.

Triumphman 11-09-2012 02:21 PM

When you say you tighten the thumb screws as tight as possible. Is this tightening, with your thumb/finger, OR tightening with a coin/screwdriver tight? Those screws/nut are made of steel and should take quite a bit of force before snapping. I've never had one break in over 40yrs of scope/ring mounting. Had a few cheap ones pull out from the aluminum, but not snap.
Del

unit44justin 11-09-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triumphman (Post 1007704)
When you say you tighten the thumb screws as tight as possible. Is this tightening, with your thumb/finger, OR tightening with a coin/screwdriver tight? Those screws/nut are made of steel and should take quite a bit of force before snapping. I've never had one break in over 40yrs of scope/ring mounting. Had a few cheap ones pull out from the aluminum, but not snap.
Del

Just by hand, but I feel like if I go any tighter that its not going to end well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbibb (Post 1007694)
Sounds like you have the tipp off scope rail I would get a weaver slotted style and different rings spacing looked pretty good wider the better for support and cuts down on flexing I know it sounds crazy but they do flex. Shouldn't cost to much. Or you can try a better quality rings.

I'll have to give that a try. It's not the end of the world since I don't hunt, but it does get a bit annoying having to reposition it. The rings are set as far apart as they can go.

jjfuller1 11-09-2012 04:29 PM

go ahead and tighten them a little more with a screw driver. you cou also try nail polish on the screws. it sets and adds extra grip. but still easy enough to break free if the need arises.

Curlyjoe_99 11-09-2012 04:51 PM

from your picture, it looks like you have a mount with the grooves (picatany-sp?). these are designed to stop what you are describing. the thumb screw should go right above, or through them. try sliding the front ring back until the screw is above one of the grooves. it should lock into place, then adjust the rear ring in the same manner. if they don't then you most likely need new stuff.
either get a mount to fit the scope rings or rings to fit the factory mount. most folks go for new rings. decent rings for picatany mounts run from $10-50 depending on what they are made of. any competent gun shop should be able to help you out for this.

unit44justin 11-09-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curlyjoe_99 (Post 1007843)
from your picture, it looks like you have a mount with the grooves (picatany-sp?). these are designed to stop what you are describing. the thumb screw should go right above, or through them. try sliding the front ring back until the screw is above one of the grooves. it should lock into place, then adjust the rear ring in the same manner. if they don't then you most likely need new stuff.
either get a mount to fit the scope rings or rings to fit the factory mount. most folks go for new rings. decent rings for picatany mounts run from $10-50 depending on what they are made of. any competent gun shop should be able to help you out for this.

That,s what I figured at first, but the rings don't spread out enough to utilize the slots. The rail has the wide part and then a skinnier rail on top, not sure what kind of rail that is called. The rings only spread out enough to use the skinny part on top.

http://imageshack.us/a/img109/1016/imag0191pp.jpg

JTJ 11-09-2012 05:22 PM

It is a combination rail. It will take the 3/8" rings or the regular Weaver rings. Get the regular rings that are used on center fire rifles. The lock screws will align with the groves in the top of the base.

unit44justin 11-09-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 1007871)
It is a combination rail. It will take the 3/8" rings or the regular Weaver rings. Get the regular rings that are used on center fire rifles. The lock screws will align with the groves in the top of the base.

Great, I'll probably head to my LGS and pick some up. Thanks everyone for the help.