Need help with my savage 22....got problems!!!


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Need help with my savage 22....got problems!!!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sharpshtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 47
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Need help with my savage 22....got problems!!!

I bought this savage 22 and it sights in perfect at 50 yards I mean dime size 5 shot groups. Then I go out squirrel hunting and miss. For example, this morning I sighted in again because everytime I shoot I have too. I sighted in at 50 yards and then about 6 hours later shot again at a target and hit about 1 1/4" low. The gun went right to its case. I don't understand why I always have to sight in everytime I want to shoot. Any help ?8' clueleaa



__________________
sharpshtr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 10-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: \
Posts: 990
Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default

Usually when a gun is that erratic the mounts on the scope are loose or bolt(s) holding the stock to the barrel/action are loose.



__________________

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old_Crow is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu,Arizona
Posts: 6,065
Liked 1973 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Default

1-Are you mounts and rings tight?
2-Are you cleaning the rifle after each session?
3-When sighting in, do you get a 1st shot flyer from a cold barrel?
4-Are you using the same ammo you hunt with to sight in?
The 1st shot from a clean or cold barrel can fly. Especially a clean one. Different ammo will shoot to a different point. If you change ammo, it can take several rounds before the rifle starts liking it.

__________________

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

JTJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sharpshtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 47
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
Usually when a gun is that erratic the mounts on the scope are loose or bolt(s) holding the stock to the barrel/action are loose.
Okay thanks. I'll check into all of that
__________________
sharpshtr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sharpshtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 47
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
1-Are you mounts and rings tight?
2-Are you cleaning the rifle after each session?
3-When sighting in, do you get a 1st shot flyer from a cold barrel?
4-Are you using the same ammo you hunt with to sight in?
The 1st shot from a clean or cold barrel can fly. Especially a clean one. Different ammo will shoot to a different point. If you change ammo, it can take several rounds before the rifle starts liking it.
Yes I have them tight, does it hurt the scope to have them to tight ?

No I'm not cleaning it after each session.

No I don't have a flyer from a cold/cleaned barrel. The 1st shot is the same as the 5th one.

Yes I'm using the same ammo I hunt with. I don't switch ammo. I'm using cci mini mags, I have shot about 250 times fighting this sighting in problem.
__________________
sharpshtr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:26 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hiwall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cleator,AZ
Posts: 3,314
Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Default

sounds like something is loose. check every screw. you can tighten the scope screws quite tight and should cause no damage

__________________

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

hiwall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:03 AM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu,Arizona
Posts: 6,065
Liked 1973 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Default

Check the screws that secure the action to the stock. They should be torqued at 20-24 inch pounds. Which stock do you have? The plastic stock has too much drop at the heel and needs to be padded for a good cheek weld. Are you using a rim fire scope, one with an adjustable AO or a center fire scope? If nothing is loose you might be having a parallax problem. Scopes for center fire rifles are parallax set at 100 yards while rim fire scopes are parallax set at 50 yards. At the bench you may get a repeatable cheek weld but in the field it could be different. A parallax error could be throwing you off. I had to add a cheek rest to my Savage MKII FVSR and I changed the stock on my wife's FV. I complained to Savage about the stocks but it did not do any good.

__________________

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

JTJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sharpshtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 47
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
Check the screws that secure the action to the stock. They should be torqued at 20-24 inch pounds. Which stock do you have? The plastic stock has too much drop at the heel and needs to be padded for a good cheek weld. Are you using a rim fire scope, one with an adjustable AO or a center fire scope? If nothing is loose you might be having a parallax problem. Scopes for center fire rifles are parallax set at 100 yards while rim fire scopes are parallax set at 50 yards. At the bench you may get a repeatable cheek weld but in the field it could be different. A parallax error could be throwing you off. I had to add a cheek rest to my Savage MKII FVSR and I changed the stock on my wife's FV. I complained to Savage about the stocks but it did not do any good.
I will check them screws. I have the sythentic stock..I want to order a Boyd's wooden thumb hole stock. Yes I'm joshing a rimfire scope with a AO. I'm using the BSA sweet 22. Would a slightly different cheek weld throw you off that much ? Yeah I'm not very happy with the stock on this gun but when I sight in, I enjoy the gun. It shoots good for me then.
__________________
sharpshtr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sharpshtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 47
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
sounds like something is loose. check every screw. you can tighten the scope screws quite tight and should cause no damage
Okay thanks. I'll make sure they're pretty tight. I'll also check other screws
__________________
sharpshtr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15
Default

Is what your referring to a savage mark II



__________________
coreyDthatsme is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Savage Model 99 in 300 savage awaysaway General Rifle Discussion 6 10-05-2012 10:51 AM
savage 110 problems navgate General Rifle Discussion 1 06-07-2012 10:35 PM
Savage 99 in 300 Savage that I rebuilt jeanp1948 Gunsmithing Forum 7 09-26-2011 09:54 AM
Savage Model 14 American Classic Bolt Action Rifle 18602, 250 Savage, 22 in, Walnut S samuelrh2000 General Rifle Discussion 4 08-18-2011 11:34 AM
ejector problems .308 Savage bonras Gunsmithing Forum 4 03-30-2011 11:22 PM