Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Need help with my savage 22....got problems!!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/need-help-my-savage-22-got-problems-74257/)

sharpshtr 10-13-2012 10:41 PM

Need help with my savage 22....got problems!!!
 
I bought this savage 22 and it sights in perfect at 50 yards I mean dime size 5 shot groups. Then I go out squirrel hunting and miss. For example, this morning I sighted in again because everytime I shoot I have too. I sighted in at 50 yards and then about 6 hours later shot again at a target and hit about 1 1/4" low. The gun went right to its case. I don't understand why I always have to sight in everytime I want to shoot. Any help ?8' clueleaa

Old_Crow 10-13-2012 10:45 PM

Usually when a gun is that erratic the mounts on the scope are loose or bolt(s) holding the stock to the barrel/action are loose.

JTJ 10-13-2012 11:01 PM

1-Are you mounts and rings tight?
2-Are you cleaning the rifle after each session?
3-When sighting in, do you get a 1st shot flyer from a cold barrel?
4-Are you using the same ammo you hunt with to sight in?
The 1st shot from a clean or cold barrel can fly. Especially a clean one. Different ammo will shoot to a different point. If you change ammo, it can take several rounds before the rifle starts liking it.

sharpshtr 10-13-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old_Crow
Usually when a gun is that erratic the mounts on the scope are loose or bolt(s) holding the stock to the barrel/action are loose.

Okay thanks. I'll check into all of that

sharpshtr 10-13-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ
1-Are you mounts and rings tight?
2-Are you cleaning the rifle after each session?
3-When sighting in, do you get a 1st shot flyer from a cold barrel?
4-Are you using the same ammo you hunt with to sight in?
The 1st shot from a clean or cold barrel can fly. Especially a clean one. Different ammo will shoot to a different point. If you change ammo, it can take several rounds before the rifle starts liking it.

Yes I have them tight, does it hurt the scope to have them to tight ?

No I'm not cleaning it after each session.

No I don't have a flyer from a cold/cleaned barrel. The 1st shot is the same as the 5th one.

Yes I'm using the same ammo I hunt with. I don't switch ammo. I'm using cci mini mags, I have shot about 250 times fighting this sighting in problem.

hiwall 10-14-2012 02:26 AM

sounds like something is loose. check every screw. you can tighten the scope screws quite tight and should cause no damage

JTJ 10-14-2012 03:03 AM

Check the screws that secure the action to the stock. They should be torqued at 20-24 inch pounds. Which stock do you have? The plastic stock has too much drop at the heel and needs to be padded for a good cheek weld. Are you using a rim fire scope, one with an adjustable AO or a center fire scope? If nothing is loose you might be having a parallax problem. Scopes for center fire rifles are parallax set at 100 yards while rim fire scopes are parallax set at 50 yards. At the bench you may get a repeatable cheek weld but in the field it could be different. A parallax error could be throwing you off. I had to add a cheek rest to my Savage MKII FVSR and I changed the stock on my wife's FV. I complained to Savage about the stocks but it did not do any good.

sharpshtr 10-14-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ
Check the screws that secure the action to the stock. They should be torqued at 20-24 inch pounds. Which stock do you have? The plastic stock has too much drop at the heel and needs to be padded for a good cheek weld. Are you using a rim fire scope, one with an adjustable AO or a center fire scope? If nothing is loose you might be having a parallax problem. Scopes for center fire rifles are parallax set at 100 yards while rim fire scopes are parallax set at 50 yards. At the bench you may get a repeatable cheek weld but in the field it could be different. A parallax error could be throwing you off. I had to add a cheek rest to my Savage MKII FVSR and I changed the stock on my wife's FV. I complained to Savage about the stocks but it did not do any good.

I will check them screws. I have the sythentic stock..I want to order a Boyd's wooden thumb hole stock. Yes I'm joshing a rimfire scope with a AO. I'm using the BSA sweet 22. Would a slightly different cheek weld throw you off that much ? Yeah I'm not very happy with the stock on this gun but when I sight in, I enjoy the gun. It shoots good for me then.

sharpshtr 10-14-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall
sounds like something is loose. check every screw. you can tighten the scope screws quite tight and should cause no damage

Okay thanks. I'll make sure they're pretty tight. I'll also check other screws

coreyDthatsme 10-14-2012 06:03 PM

Is what your referring to a savage mark II


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:40 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.