Need help choosing .22 rifle - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

Need help choosing .22 rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Congrats. Those are pretty nice 22's. I had one back when I was young and cool If the vote as still out I'd of said go with the 10-22. But you got a good one. Can't wait to see the range report
Thanks my son is excited we are about to head out and beat the Saturday rush at the range! Checked out the rifle this morning and everything seems to be in order!

Old 03-28-2010, 12:50 AM   #12

Hello all,

Here is the after range report with my sons new Remington 597 and I have nothing but good things to say about this little rifle! We put 150 (Blazer.22LR) rounds through it and it only started acting up towards the last 10 rounds all the factory grease/oil and gun powder started gunking up and I had a few double feeds. We brought it home and cleaned and oiled it since it was really dirty! The magazine is a little weak on the 9th round it wouldnt feed but it got better after a few loads and had no problems after that! Overall we are happy with it our groupings were good @ 25yds and we figured out how to adjust the scope. For $179 I can't complain.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:13 AM   #13

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Me I would have started him out on a bolt action. Many people's accuracy suffers when they start yanking that trigger as fast as they can 10 times in a row.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloglock19 View Post
Hello all,

I'm in the market for a .22 rifle for my 12 year old son it will be used mainly at the range (indoors 25yds) for target practice. We stopped by Dicks sporting goods and they had quite a few. He held the Ruger 10/22 and the Remington 597 and immediately fell for the 597. The Ruger was priced at $238. and the 597 at $179 in OD with a scope included. I have searched through the forum and saw some good and bad posts in regards to the 597. Any advice and expertise will be truly appreciated thanks in advance!
I know every young man wants an autoloader heck, my first rifle was a 10-22 but, honestly the best rifle for a young man is a good bolt action. If he is smaller in stature maybe a CZ 452 Scout. This rifle will outshoot a factory 10-22 or a Remington 597 all day long and not give a hiccough.
The Savage bolt action offerings can't be beat either. On top of which there are tons of used rifles to choose from. A 40 or 50 year old Mossberg might even be a good choice. If he is going to use it at a range for target practice don't sell the bolt action rifles short for fun. Its more fun to shoot more accurately than your friend than it is to leave a bunch of brass on the floor.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #15
ICU

Default same old, same old

I'm really getting sick of seeing this crap about "get a bolt action first, its more accurate..." I call Bull Spit on this. Ok, granted, yes, physics says that a typical bolt action is "more accurate" that a typical semi, Im not arguing that. What i am arguing is that, especially in this case, you take any beginner shooter, getting his/her first gun, and any rifle will still shoot more accurately than the shooter is capable of. In fact, Id bet to say that any decent rifle, will shoot better and more accurately than most of the people that try to shoot them. No im not talking about from a sandbag, bipod bench rest, competition shooting, but actual range, target, plinking shooting, the essence of learning a gun shooting. I shoot mine w iron sights right now, and I'll be darned if my shooting doesn't suck at 25 yards compared to what the weapon can actually do. Yes bolt actions are fun, and yes, semi's are fun, but the argument for bolts about "teaching better shooting habbits" is BS too. I say teaching SELF CONTROL is more important. Sure, one has to slow down with a bolt action, but that doesnt teach, that forces by situation. I say that a new shooter should, and does have te control to not just unload a clip, and he who wants to learn to shoot better will adopt proper habbits... and still have the option to unload a clip in the rare chance that one wanrts to! For me, every 250 rounds i may want to pop of a few in a row, and i now have that option with a semi, that would not be there w/ a bolt. It still takes me an hour to go thru 150 rounds, and whatdoyaknow, i have a semi. And even with friends' bolt actions, my grouping is still all over the place. So no my friends, having a bolt action does not make you a better shooter. Proper, safe practice does, with whatever tool you're using at the time. It's up to us to choose to have the self control to train ourselves, and our youth properly.

Ok, I'm gretting off my soap box now. Feel free to flame.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #16

Congratulations you got your spotlight!

Old 04-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Me I would have started him out on a bolt action. Many people's accuracy suffers when they start yanking that trigger as fast as they can 10 times in a row.
My first .22 was a bolt action something or other. I'm sure that rifle was probably about a million years old. It helped teach me how to hold a position while pulling another round, which was further elaborated on when I started with the SA revolvers.

I have a Ruger 10/22 now, but I usually don't pop them off like crazy. Can't say I've fired a Remmie 597 that I can think of off the top of my head, so I can't think of anything bad to say about them from experience. I can tell you that my 10/22 is a sweet little lawn-chair popper though

Old 04-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow... Not even going to touch that one. That's easy, even for me.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:54 AM   #19

I think what future readers should get out of this is that the art of precision shooting is best left to bolt actions, the art of "fun" (generally speaking for youth) shooting is best left to semi-autos, and the act of proper shooting does not depend on the gun, but the teacher.

As with every argument, there are two sides to the story. A Barret M82 is semi-auto, with confirmed kills over 1000 yards. And my bolt-action .22 is way more fun for me to outshoot other guys at long ranges. To each his own.

-Travis

Old 06-10-2010, 04:01 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a Savage Arms mk II non accu trigger version. and I bought my girlfriend a ruger 10/22 for christmas. I got to say I like the 10/22 more. I like how it comes with a weaver rail with the rife. And yes it is very customizable. How ever I have never shot the remington, but I am very pleased with the ruger.