Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Need a Cure for a Slippery Henry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 05:20 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Need a Cure for a Slippery Henry

I recently bought a new Henry Golden Boy .22 lever gun and while I love the appearance of the thing as well as how nicely it handles, I do have a problem that someone here may be able to assist with. The rifle has a beautiful brass butt-plate on the stock and while this is a lovely thing to look at, when you mount the gun to your shoulder and try to get a firm shooting position that chunk of brass slides all over the place, spoiling your aim. I don't want to replace the plate but I would like to find something to fit over it that would give more purchase when in shooting position. Something rubbery that could be slipped on and off is what I envision; and if it could also be used on the butt of my Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 that would be a welcome bonus.
Anyone know of such a thing? I welcome your suggestions.

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

CA357 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Pick up a slip on recoil pad for it. It will add a bit to the length of pull, but it will certainly be grippier. As far as the M&P, there are rubber recoil pads made for AR's as well. You'd be hard pressed to find a one size fits all.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #3

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Or use some non-slip tape on the butt plate. I had that problem with my Mini-14 so I stippled the butt plate.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #4

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'd lean toward 357's idea simply because I think that the tape could pull the protective finish from the butt-plate or stock. I have seen a stick on rubber pad that you trim to fit and while the shop owner said they she had sold many of them, a few customers came back to say how the glue messed with their finishes. just my thoughts

Old 12-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #5

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Curlyjoe_99 is exactly right. But you don't want it on the stock, just the metal butt plate. A slip-on recoil pad would work but they are often made for thicker/bigger stocks than found on your rifle. Plus if you leave the slip-on pad on you run the risk of it discoloring or removing the finish from the stock. No problem though if you don't leave it on the rifle when not in use. You could have a gunsmith do some checkering on your butt plate. That would look nice and be functional. Or stipple your own butt plate.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:13 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Look at a auto parts store or walmart for a little square pad that you lay on the dash of your car that keeps cell phones and such from sliding, they will stick and peel off with no residue, just trim it to fit, it is only about a 1/16th of an inch thick. One pad will do 2 or 3 butt plates. Give it a try they worked for me.

My readings of history convinces me that most bad government results from to much government.....Thomas Jefferson
Being Ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn............Benjamin Franklin
If Barack Obama is the answer, the how damn stupid was the question.

CA357 Likes This 
Old 12-08-2012, 04:51 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Billy9mm - I know the stuff you are referring to; used it to hold small wooden parts for sanding and larger ones for routing. Never thought of using it, thanks a bunch!
And thanks to the rest of you, I'm still going to look for more traditional butt-pad that installs and removes easy since I am loathe to mess up all that shiny brass (old Army habits die hard) and will also keep the possibility of having checkering done to the plate in mind. We don't have many gunsmiths around here and those that I would trust are booked up until after I'm probably going to be dead. Thank you to all!

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

CA357 Likes This 
Old 12-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7807 Times on 4509 Posts
Likes Given: 10054

You might consider one of those lace-on leather butt plate covers. They look pretty cool and give it a cowboy look and feel to it.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #9

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
You might consider one of those lace-on leather butt plate covers. They look pretty cool and give it a cowboy look and feel to it.
There ya go

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 12-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #10

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
Do you know the best place to get these? Maybe a cheek rest/ammo carrier. I want to dress up my marlin a little bit.