Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (
-   -   Need a Cure for a Slippery Henry (

OldEagleEars 12-06-2012 05:20 AM

Need a Cure for a Slippery Henry
I recently bought a new Henry Golden Boy .22 lever gun and while I love the appearance of the thing as well as how nicely it handles, I do have a problem that someone here may be able to assist with. The rifle has a beautiful brass butt-plate on the stock and while this is a lovely thing to look at, when you mount the gun to your shoulder and try to get a firm shooting position that chunk of brass slides all over the place, spoiling your aim. I don't want to replace the plate but I would like to find something to fit over it that would give more purchase when in shooting position. Something rubbery that could be slipped on and off is what I envision; and if it could also be used on the butt of my Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 that would be a welcome bonus.
Anyone know of such a thing? I welcome your suggestions.

CA357 12-06-2012 06:43 AM

Pick up a slip on recoil pad for it. It will add a bit to the length of pull, but it will certainly be grippier. As far as the M&P, there are rubber recoil pads made for AR's as well. You'd be hard pressed to find a one size fits all.

hiwall 12-06-2012 02:26 PM

Or use some non-slip tape on the butt plate. I had that problem with my Mini-14 so I stippled the butt plate.

Curlyjoe_99 12-06-2012 05:10 PM

I'd lean toward 357's idea simply because I think that the tape could pull the protective finish from the butt-plate or stock. I have seen a stick on rubber pad that you trim to fit and while the shop owner said they she had sold many of them, a few customers came back to say how the glue messed with their finishes. just my thoughts

hiwall 12-06-2012 05:21 PM

Curlyjoe_99 is exactly right. But you don't want it on the stock, just the metal butt plate. A slip-on recoil pad would work but they are often made for thicker/bigger stocks than found on your rifle. Plus if you leave the slip-on pad on you run the risk of it discoloring or removing the finish from the stock. No problem though if you don't leave it on the rifle when not in use. You could have a gunsmith do some checkering on your butt plate. That would look nice and be functional. Or stipple your own butt plate.

Billy9mm 12-08-2012 03:13 AM

Look at a auto parts store or walmart for a little square pad that you lay on the dash of your car that keeps cell phones and such from sliding, they will stick and peel off with no residue, just trim it to fit, it is only about a 1/16th of an inch thick. One pad will do 2 or 3 butt plates. Give it a try they worked for me.

OldEagleEars 12-08-2012 04:51 AM

Billy9mm - I know the stuff you are referring to; used it to hold small wooden parts for sanding and larger ones for routing. Never thought of using it, thanks a bunch!
And thanks to the rest of you, I'm still going to look for more traditional butt-pad that installs and removes easy since I am loathe to mess up all that shiny brass (old Army habits die hard) and will also keep the possibility of having checkering done to the plate in mind. We don't have many gunsmiths around here and those that I would trust are booked up until after I'm probably going to be dead. Thank you to all!

Vikingdad 12-08-2012 04:55 AM

You might consider one of those lace-on leather butt plate covers. They look pretty cool and give it a cowboy look and feel to it.

HOSSFLY 12-08-2012 12:28 PM


Originally Posted by Vikingdad (Post 1043812)
You might consider one of those lace-on leather butt plate covers. They look pretty cool and give it a cowboy look and feel to it.

There ya go ;)

magnumman 12-08-2012 12:33 PM


Originally Posted by Vikingdad
You might consider one of those lace-on leather butt plate covers. They look pretty cool and give it a cowboy look and feel to it.

Do you know the best place to get these? Maybe a cheek rest/ammo carrier. I want to dress up my marlin a little bit.

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:32 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.