Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > narrowing it down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default narrowing it down

Today my parents and I went out to try to find a rifle for me. My Dad said I should probably get a rifle as he is familiar with them. I wanted a handgun but Dad said I wasn't ready for one yet. So we set out to Gander Mountain to take a look at what they had. Dad said I should stick with a .22 for now as he doesn't want me to hurt my shoulder with a shotgun. I have a pretty low pain tolerance so I think it's probably a good idea to stick with a .22, as my Dad suggested. He's always looking out for me, as good parents do for their children.

What we liked best was the Ruger 10 + 1 22 Long Rifle Heavy Stainless Barrel & Laminate Stock because my Dad and I figured for that price, it has to be a good gun. Does anyone have any experience with this gun?

We only want to target shoot with the gun we buy as my Mom said I would probably feel bad if I ever shot any animals. I have a couple of toy poodles that would probably be upset with me if I ever brought home another animal, dead or alive.

Anyway, my Dad and I are interested in what you all think. My fellow doctor friends want to go shooting with me so I hope to make a decision and purchase soon.

I am very excited to hold such a powerful weapon in my hands.

I have to go to sleep now. I'm up late and I'm trying to be so quiet so as not to wake my parents. We go to church pretty early on Sunday mornings so I better get some sleep.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Thats a nice bolt action but you would pay a lot less for a Ruger 10/22 semi auto rifle. They are alot of fun and you can either plink with the standard 10 round magazine or go get a 30 round magazine.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
Thats a nice bolt action but you would pay a lot less for a Ruger 10/22 semi auto rifle. They are alot of fun and you can either plink with the standard 10 round magazine or go get a 30 round magazine.
That's okay. I am a dermatologist and I have the money. And my Dad said he'd help me if I needed it.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie331978 View Post
Today my parents and I went out to try to find a rifle for me. My Dad said I should probably get a rifle as he is familiar with them. I wanted a handgun but Dad said I wasn't ready for one yet. So we set out to Gander Mountain to take a look at what they had. Dad said I should stick with a .22 for now as he doesn't want me to hurt my shoulder with a shotgun. I have a pretty low pain tolerance so I think it's probably a good idea to stick with a .22, as my Dad suggested. He's always looking out for me, as good parents do for their children.

What we liked best was the Ruger 10 + 1 22 Long Rifle Heavy Stainless Barrel & Laminate Stock because my Dad and I figured for that price, it has to be a good gun. Does anyone have any experience with this gun?

We only want to target shoot with the gun we buy as my Mom said I would probably feel bad if I ever shot any animals. I have a couple of toy poodles that would probably be upset with me if I ever brought home another animal, dead or alive.

Anyway, my Dad and I are interested in what you all think. My fellow doctor friends want to go shooting with me so I hope to make a decision and purchase soon.

I have to go to sleep now. I'm up late and I'm trying to be so quiet so as not to wake my parents. We go to church pretty early on Sunday mornings so I better get some sleep.
I'm sorry if I'm mis-reading this post, but my advise is to 'grow a pair' and buy the gun of your choice. ......one sentence, you sound like an eight year old, and then suddenly your a doctor..........? Is it necessary to take mommy & daddy along to buy a long gun? If you're an adult, act like one.

Last edited by TimKS; 07-17-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #5

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Not sure you would be able to handle the power of the Ruger in .22lr. I would suggest the Daisy Red Ryder for starters and work up to the Airsoft G5 clone...then a .22.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-19-2011, 05:51 AM   #6

ditto on the comment about "growing a pair." No offense or anything, but I'm assuming you are of a pretty significant age if you are a dermatologist. Now go choose the gun you want and let mom and dad go about their own business.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #7

This thread has to be a joke.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #8

Liked 52 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 55

[QUOTE=frankie331978;543613] I have a pretty low pain tolerance so I think it's probably a good idea to stick with a .22,

QUOTE]

Im sorry i think i had something crazy in my eyes, powerful??
Im sorry man but a .22 in my book is in the same catagory as a air gun. When you stub your toe do you go to the ER? guns are guns man, grow a pair, a shotgun weighs 8 lbs, how much do you weigh? dont let a gun kick your ass. Im sorry but i agree, this has to be a joke, your a doctor and live with mom and dad? My first gun ever was a Mossberg 20ga back when i was 19 and the first time i shot it i sold it the next day, it was a lot weaker then i thought so i went to a 12 GA and i have been in love since then.

If this is a real post here what i suggest, first off never refer to a .22 as such a powerful gun, thats just crazy..and next, you should get your own place and start running your life without mom and dad, next go out and look at a nice Glock or 1911, hell if you can man up maybe a 20 GA (feels like a .22 anyway) but if you want a .22 the ruger is a nice rifle but choose a gun that you like not what mom and dad think is best, hell if you like .22 so much look into a AR-15, more powder but almost no recoil at all, but like i said i have a hard time believing this is a legit post.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6746 Times on 4075 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

I'm a 'girl' and I shot a 20 guage shotgun and I thought it hurt. LOL I also shot Bear's Quigly and that hurt even worse. I'll stick with handguns and rifles........other than that darned Quigly.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #10

Liked 52 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 55

O ya, if your looking for a .22 get one you can have fun with, i recomend a savage stevens arms 22lr, semi auto, its fun and only cost around $150.
Here is a quick vid of mine.