Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > My upcoming .22 purchases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default My upcoming .22 purchases

A.) Henry "octagon" lever repeater
Or
B.) S&W M&P15-22 AR (this will lead to a tactical build)

What do you guys think?

"When your goin through hell keep on going" Winston Churchill

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

B definitely B! I am a huge fan of that rifle. I have one myself and there are endless possibilitys when it comes to customizing it and its just a fun shooter!

Old 11-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Good choices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelMurder View Post
A.) Henry "octagon" lever repeater
Or
B.) S&W M&P15-22 AR (this will lead to a tactical build)

What do you guys think?
Well I think that you are obviously a genius since I have both of those wonderful firearms in my collection! My Henry is a Golden Boy with all the brass finish and some really nice Marble's Buckhorn sights. This thing is pretty enough to take to the prom and the action is a party for your sense of touch. The octagonal barrel is heavy, which in the olden days meant good heat absorption hence accuracy. Today they call it a "bull-barrel" and act like it's a new invention (NOT!). But Golden or blued, a Henry lever-gun is a joy to own and shoot; you'll love it!
At the other end of the spectrum is the M&P 15-22! It is also an accurate, well made (in America!) shooter in the modern "black-rifle" mode. While the Henry is almost Amish in it's lack of options, the 15-22 can be festooned with almost anything a "real" AR-15 or CAR-4 can hold. It also will accept many of the custom trigger systems that the 5.56 rigs use. If you check the 15-22 forums (the Smith & Wesson site has a good one) you will see pictures of these things dressed up in enough tacti-cool gear to make Nancy Pelosi faint dead away at the sight of one. Underneath all that stuff is a fast-firing, accurate rifle that is a bit sensitive to ammo type and brand but generally extremely reliable and rugged.
In short, you've chosen well in my opinion and will enjoy both of these rifles for years to come. Well done, my friend!

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

Old 11-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #4

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

You gotta go with the Henry lever!!

-Matt

Old 11-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 303 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 58

OldEagleEars has it right. I've got both in my collection also and I wouldn't want to have to choose between them.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

It's such a hard descision!!!!! I've read enough reviews on each to write a short novel! I can't decide which first! Both will definitely join my small but growing arsenal ASAP!
A couple questions, however!

First off on the 15-22 I've heard troubling reports that the barrel is prone to sagging under heat very easily. Is there merit to these statements? If so what temperature or amount of prolonged shooting does it occur at? Should I worry in my moderate Ohio weather?

Second how smooth would you all say the action is on the Henry?

Old 11-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Oh and also some range reports would be helpful on the two? Groupings? And lastly what brand accesories should I look into on the 15-22?

Old 11-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1097 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 625

well, tough choice. do you want a fast, mean looking shooter. or a elegant ,pristine can killer? my id take the henry first. but both are fun.

most accesories will work on the rail system. however with the 15-22 you can not upgrade it to a larger caliber like normal AR15's

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #9

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default .22 purchases

The Henry first then the S&W Cliff

Old 11-09-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelMurder View Post
It's such a hard descision!!!!! I've read enough reviews on each to write a short novel! I can't decide which first! Both will definitely join my small but growing arsenal ASAP!
A couple questions, however!

First off on the 15-22 I've heard troubling reports that the barrel is prone to sagging under heat very easily. Is there merit to these statements? If so what temperature or amount of prolonged shooting does it occur at? Should I worry in my moderate Ohio weather?

Second how smooth would you all say the action is on the Henry?
There was quite a discussion on the S&W 15-22 forum about barrel sagging and it is all based on some blogger's comment that he noticed some bullet drop at 100-yards on a hot day and SPECULATED that the barrel might be displacing in the polymer receiver due to the heat. This contention was (as they say on Myth Busters,) "BUSTED!" as a reason for the drop with heat-affect on the ammo itself the prime suspect. The shooter's position was also a possibility. The barrel itself is as sturdy as the tube on any full-sized AR. I've never had any droop in my 15-22 due to heat though the heat causes a lot of droop in me!
How smooth is the Henry lever action? As smooth as the skin just under the right ear of your first girlfriend (there are other locations that come to mind but this is a family forum). Seriously, it is a wonderfully precise, silky action that pleasures your sense of touch. You owe it to yourself to try this out.

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan