My Mosquito
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > My Mosquito

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default My Mosquito

It was with great joy that my wife presented me with a brand new Sig Arms Mosquito a few years ago. She bought it for me as a birthday gift, based solely on the reputation of Sig Arms, and on a well placed "hint" that I was looking for a .22 auto loading pistol. At the time (2005ish) the Mosquito was brand new on the market and to my dismay, I learned that there were several "bugs" yet to be worked out of them. (Beware of low serial numbers.) It failed to do just about everything, and some new stuff I'd never seen a pistol do before. (It would strip a round from the magazine, eject it from the pistol and close on an empty chamber. )

I phoned Sig Arms customer service and sent the pistol back to them, and they replaced it with a brand new one. The newer one was better, but still had issues, mostly fail to feed, fail to extract / eject, regardless of the ammo used. I pretty much designated the pistol a "safe queen" and forgot about it.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago when I read something about the Mosquito on a gun forum, but other owners said theirs functioned flawlessly. I decided to give the little pistol another chance, but before taking it to the range, I emailed Sig Arms CS again. Their recommendation was to oil the heck out of it, especially the extractor, for which a hole is drilled in the slide. Being old school, I'd always been taught to use only light oil on semi-autos to prevent lint clogging. Sig also suggested that I clean it after about 200 rds, and that Mosquitos really, really like CCI Mini-Mags.

Last week I took it to the range and after slathering the action and extractor with oil, my little Mosquito ran flawlessly. As a test, I ran a mag of Brand-X ammo through it, causing it to hiccup and fail. The next mag was filled with Mini-Mags, and it ran perfectly.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Good to hear you figured it out. Bummer though that it is so twitchy.

I'm not a Sig fan, but reliability has always been their greatest strength.

How does yours shoot?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I had the same problem with my mosquito,sold it after one month,the CZ kadet in 22 is way better than the mosquito

Old 09-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Early Mosquitos were very flaky and many had mags with weak springs. A lot of the "problems" also came from folks not matching the recoil spring to the ammo they're shooting (new, they come with 2 - 1 for normal ammo and 1 for high-velocity ammo). I gave my son one and it's rock solid and reliable. They ain't target guns by any means - but they are fun plinkers...

Old 09-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
How does yours shoot?
Impressive! Once I figured out which front sights to put on it, I am able to keep a very tight group.

Not only do they come with two recoil springs, they also come with 3 front sights. A year or so ago, they were running a special and I was able to get a free Fobus holster for it.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 09-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Mine runs pretty reliably with CCI Standard velocity ammo & the white painted spring (for subsonic & standard velocity ammo). Make sure the spring is installed correctly, since one end is larger diameter than the other. I usually run mine suppressed, so that may help functioning in my case. It does need to be kept cleaner than my other .22 pistols to function properly. The trigger is one of the worst I've ever used, rimfire or center fire.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTiger View Post
Mine runs pretty reliably with CCI Standard velocity ammo & the white painted spring (for subsonic & standard velocity ammo). Make sure the spring is installed correctly, since one end is larger diameter than the other. I usually run mine suppressed, so that may help functioning in my case. It does need to be kept cleaner than my other .22 pistols to function properly. The trigger is one of the worst I've ever used, rimfire or center fire.
absolute right on the trigger ,another reason why I sold the gun

Old 10-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A major benefit in my mind is the takedown procedure. It makes my Ruger mk2 takedown feel like building an engine. I am sorry but I don't think that a fun gun should be harder to take apart than my carry gun. I stopped shooting my ruger because I can't stand cleaning it, but my mosquito goes with me to the range everytime.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 10-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2323 Times on 1252 Posts
Likes Given: 841

Just get an S&W Model 17, and you'll never have any of those problems ever again.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 10-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #10

Likes Given: 5

A good friend of mine just bought one. I had a chance to shoot it last weekend and I was impressed with that little autos accuracey. Good choice.