My collection of .22s
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > My collection of .22s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My collection of .22s

Well I just wanted to share what few guns I have (for now) though they don't get used much.

These are Rossi (or.... interarms? not sure the whole story on those two companies) Model 62 SA and SAC pump action rifles

I'm assuming SAC meaning compact.

And a Mossberg 42 Bolt action. I don't know when the last time it was shot was, I believe the story on this is it's what my grandpa used in WWII, so sentimental value there. I'd really like to get out and shoot it, but I'm sure it needs a good once over, seems to be in good working condition though.

Seems like I'm missing a piece though, from this photo:

So what is this/whats it for?

I have shot the Rossis, pretty fun guns, but I'd like to get out and use them more.

anyway... These have been around longer than I can remember, so are these considered pretty decent guns? Mossberg obviously has a pretty good reputation, don't know much about Rossi, or the connection to interarms, as they seem to be separate companies now.

Last edited by SteelDirigible; 10-23-2011 at 01:07 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8836 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

InterArms was the importer. Rossi is now part of Taurus.

ReF Mdl 42- not used as a military weapon. Those had 3 sights, front, barrel mounted V notch, and a reciever mounted #3 peep sight (missing on yours) FINDING a #3 will not be as hard as PAYING for one. The price of them is, well, Jesus wept. There IS a substitute peep (OM 62) available from Havlin Sales- for $65.

Take the action out of the stock, wet it down good with a light penetrating oil (NOT WD-40) let it soak for a day, and use a copper (I say again, COPPER) pot scrubber to gently remove the rust. Brand name is Chore Boy.

Mossberg made good rifles- there is a fair collector following. Me among them.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #3

Liked 408 Times on 223 Posts

Break fluid and copper scrubber would do wonders on that rust just go easy And keep the scrubber really wet with the break fluid.

let the bullets do the talking!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
InterArms was the importer. Rossi is now part of Taurus.

ReF Mdl 42- not used as a military weapon. Those had 3 sights, front, barrel mounted V notch, and a reciever mounted #3 peep sight (missing on yours) FINDING a #3 will not be as hard as PAYING for one. The price of them is, well, Jesus wept. There IS a substitute peep (OM 62) available from Havlin Sales- for $65.

Take the action out of the stock, wet it down good with a light penetrating oil (NOT WD-40) let it soak for a day, and use a copper (I say again, COPPER) pot scrubber to gently remove the rust. Brand name is Chore Boy.

Mossberg made good rifles- there is a fair collector following. Me among them.
correction on the story... my grandfather bought it from a guy when he was a teenager. just a recreational shooter for him, i guess i kind of assumed it was from his marine days.

yeah i know they need some cleaning, its on my to-do list.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:54 AM   #5

I'm questioning if this is a 42 or different...
At this link and the photo I posted earlier of the peep site, the 42 has a groove in the stock. Mine does not.
http://home.epix.net/~damguy/models.htm

what I'm trying to figure out is what I need to get a scope on here. There are what look like me to be threaded holes for the havlin mount, though it says it is for the 42a,b,c, 44, etc.

It does say 42 on the barrel, but could t be a 42a? How can I know for sure?

Old 10-26-2011, 03:15 AM   #6

Can anyone help me verify this mossberg? I thought it was a model 42 because of the markings on the barrel, if it were a 42a b or c would it say that as well? There is an A on the stock underneath the barrel ( visible when barrel is removed) but the barrel itself only says 42 22 s l lr

Old 10-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Pretty nice collection you got there. Thanks for sharing with us.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8836 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

The 42 a will be marked on the barrel as 42(a) . If it has two screws that are about at the 10 o'clock position on the receiver as the hold the rifle. that is what the Havlin mount attaches to. Cannot see that part of the reciever in your pics. Possible that your rifle got restocked at some point, and there WS overlap as they changed models (Go ahead and use up those parts, Fred, the new ones will be in next week)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:40 PM   #9

well here's some more pics. Got some rem-oil and copper scrub pad and cleaned up the barrel.

got a pic of some screw holes that I think you are referring to... so this receiver is compatible with the havlin scope mount?