Must Have or Really Cool Ruger 10/22 Customizing - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Must Have or Really Cool Ruger 10/22 Customizing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 09:58 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ammo, and 10/22 worth it?

Thread drift is fine, no worries. Ammo advice is always good.

Now a serious question for all of the Ruger 10/22 owners out there: is the Ruger worth it?

Ive read things that say like It's the most Loukas to modify because it needs to be modded!

That concerns me. As I am on a limited budget, I probably won't be able to buy all he mods I want to instantly, but I still want to shoot it. So does the Ruger NEED to be customized to do well?

If your wondering, I am going to have a budget of about $350 total. Any suggested mods? And how much does the extended Mag release cost?

Thanks
From this day forward, I sincerely promise, I will set an example for all other youth to follow, and I shall never do anything that would bring disgrace or dishonor upon my God, my Country and its flag, my parents, myself or the Young Marines. These I will honor and respect in a manner that will reflect credit upon them and myself.
Semper Fidelis

Owns- Henry Lever Action .22

Old 09-28-2010, 11:02 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The 10/22 is perfectly fine right out of the box. The mods are available because they are hugely popular and are easy to modify.

Buy one, pick up an inexpensive scope and shoot the heck out of it. $350. will get you the rifle, scope and lots of ammo. Trust me, you'll be delighted with it and if the mod fever hits, you can always do a little at a time.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-29-2010, 02:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
The 10/22 is perfectly fine right out of the box. The mods are available because they are hugely popular and are easy to modify.

Buy one, pick up an inexpensive scope and shoot the heck out of it. $350. will get you the rifle, scope and lots of ammo. Trust me, you'll be delighted with it and if the mod fever hits, you can always do a little at a time.
Great to hear!

I've heard so much about Stalking Bear's trigger group modifications. Can someone tell me exactly what the benefits are? As in would it be worth the 75 or so for my lowly uses (plinking,squirrels)? [Remember, I have about $350 total to work with]

And while were on this subject, are the 10/22's iron sights sufficient or should I look into scopes?

Thanks!
From this day forward, I sincerely promise, I will set an example for all other youth to follow, and I shall never do anything that would bring disgrace or dishonor upon my God, my Country and its flag, my parents, myself or the Young Marines. These I will honor and respect in a manner that will reflect credit upon them and myself.
Semper Fidelis

Old 09-29-2010, 03:01 AM   #24

Liked 864 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex2455 View Post
Great to hear!

I've heard so much about Stalking Bear's trigger group modifications. Can someone tell me exactly what the benefits are? As in would it be worth the 75 or so for my lowly uses (plinking,squirrels)? [Remember, I have about $350 total to work with]

And while were on this subject, are the 10/22's iron sights sufficient or should I look into scopes?

Thanks!

Spend the &15 to become a member and it'll only cost you $60 to have the work up from mr. bear.

I just got a new barrel and stock on mine. I'm going to go shooting later this week to sight it in and then send mine off to him so I have a good base to rate it on.
But as was said, if you're not interested in hitting 1/4" patters at 100 yards then throw a scope on it right out of the box.
I'm 35 and my dad gave me my 10/22 when I was about 17 or so and it has thus far killed a countless number of squirrels, birds, rabbits, cats, dogs, (typical farm kid back in the day) chickens, paper targets, etc.
I've got about 20 guns and in a hurry out the door I would grab the 10/22 because of it's reliability no matter what you do to it. Built up or bone stock; personally, it's my #1 hands down

Old 09-29-2010, 03:22 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The iron sights on the 10/22 are fine. They're pretty easy to acquire and they do the job for short to moderate distances. The scope comes into play if you start shooting farther out, or if you have old eyes like me.

If you're a young guy with good vision, I suggest you shoot it for a while just as it comes out of the box. You should get used to the sights anyway. You can always add a scope later.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-29-2010, 03:47 AM   #26

IMO all the 10/22 needs is a better trigger, the rest of it works just fine as it is.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester View Post
Spend the &15 to become a member and it'll only cost you $60 to have the work up from mr. bear.

I just got a new barrel and stock on mine. I'm going to go shooting later this week to sight it in and then send mine off to him so I have a good base to rate it on.
But as was said, if you're not interested in hitting 1/4" patters at 100 yards then throw a scope on it right out of the box.
I'm 35 and my dad gave me my 10/22 when I was about 17 or so and it has thus far killed a countless number of squirrels, birds, rabbits, cats, dogs, (typical farm kid back in the day) chickens, paper targets, etc.
I've got about 20 guns and in a hurry out the door I would grab the 10/22 because of it's reliability no matter what you do to it. Built up or bone stock; personally, it's my #1 hands down
My plan exactly! Then I finally get to see the Bunker you guys all talk about!

This will be my first gun too, and I'm 14.

And since I'm 14, I think my eyesight will suffice. Thanks!
Semper Fidelis

Old 09-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #28

Liked 864 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:

And since I'm 14, I think my eyesight will suffice. Thanks!

Well that may be an issue.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:51 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If you decide you don't like the sights or want something more military-looking, Tech Sights does make an aperature sight kit for the 10-22. I have not tried it myself.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:45 PM   #30

Liked 99 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Look at my thread in the vendor's section about reworking triggers.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f53/ruger-10-22-trigger-groups-professionally-reworked-19201/

That should tell you anything you need to know.

Quote:
Great to hear!

Thanks!