Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Must Have or Really Cool Ruger 10/22 Customizing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Must Have or Really Cool Ruger 10/22 Customizing

I know the Ruger 10/22 is famous for it's Adaptability and customization but it's hard for a novice like myself to fin the important, cool ways to customize it.

Therefore, on this thread post links, post your pictures of just rave about the best way to customize your Ruger 10/22!

Thanks

Alex

From this day forward, I sincerely promise, I will set an example for all other youth to follow, and I shall never do anything that would bring disgrace or dishonor upon my God, my Country and its flag, my parents, myself or the Young Marines. These I will honor and respect in a manner that will reflect credit upon them and myself.
Semper Fidelis

Owns- Henry Lever Action .22

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Well, a member here, Stalking Bear, is known for doing some nice trigger work on them. I don't have one myself, but i hear he is good, and i'm sure some of the other members who have had him to work their triggers over could back that up.

My buddy's favorite mods on his 10-22 are his tapco stock, a red dot sight, and high capacity magazines (look for the ones with lips of steel).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You can really trick out a 10/22. However, the only major change to mine is a Stalking Bear trigger job and the extended magazine release that he included as part of the package.

I mounted a Nikon Pro Staff 3-9x40 scope that I bought on sale. Since it is in Realtree camo, I later picked up a like new matching stock on a local gun forum that I inhabit.

I did a Bubba Rustoleum paint job on the metal and it's holding up pretty well so far.

It goes bang every time and is as accurate as I will ever need it to be. It's not for bench rest or match shooting. It's for walking in the woods, plinking at the range and hitting what I aim at. It does those things very, very well.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 09-27-2010 at 07:35 PM.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #4

HI Alex, Kinda depends what you'll be using it for. One thing ALL mine have is an extended mag release, I would consider that a must have.

A few years back I set up 2 for bench shooting only. Wanted to hit a quarter at 100 yds every time. These will do that or better. I used Adams & Bennett Blued .920" bbls, 18" w/1 in 16" twist & Fajen laminated stocks, all from Midway USA. Put on Tasco straight 40 power scopes. I bait rats & vermin in front of a 100 yd backstop, (just happens to be under a Mercury Vapor yardlight), out here on the farm. With the bulk pack Federal 750 ammo ya never miss. Love to set on my deck, with a cold one and pop them.

Other than the mag release, scopes and a standard bbl Fajen stock, I've left the others pretty much alone, kinda old-school. I use a snap-shoot trigger pull, (too many military triggers) so the factory triggers work fine for me.

You are definitely correct, they are fun to mess with. Mine aren't cool, but they run 100% and what I do with them is way cool. Ken

"The older I get, The better I was"

Old 09-27-2010, 10:36 PM   #5

Default extended Mag release

My plans for my Ruger: target shooting/plinking, and hopefully a couple squirrels!!

Sorry, stupid question: Whats an extended mag release?

From this day forward, I sincerely promise, I will set an example for all other youth to follow, and I shall never do anything that would bring disgrace or dishonor upon my God, my Country and its flag, my parents, myself or the Young Marines. These I will honor and respect in a manner that will reflect credit upon them and myself.
Semper Fidelis

Owns- Henry Lever Action .22

Old 09-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The mag release is the magazine release/lever that you push to drop the magazine out of the rifle. They're kind of short as they come from the factory, so a longer one makes magazine changes easier.

You can see what an extended one looks like in the picture of my 10/22. It's the lever hanging down in front of the trigger guard.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Upgraded mine so much that I hardly recognize it anymore...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-27-2010, 11:26 PM   #8

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have a Raptor stock on mine but it really needs a new barrel. It shoots fine as is but I have another project for that 24" barrel now..mmwwaahaahahaa!!

The big reason I wanted the stock is I wanted one that was uniquely left handed

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-27-2010, 11:27 PM   #9

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Upgraded mine so much that I hardly recognize it anymore...

Did you really need that flash hider? I mean really? The other things sure I understand but that flash hider just was toooo much

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-27-2010, 11:28 PM   #10

Liked 684 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington