Most inaccurate .22 semi-auto
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Most inaccurate .22 semi-auto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 04:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Most inaccurate .22 semi-auto

What is the most inaccurate .22 RF you have owned?

What was the story?

For me it was (and remains) my Remington Nylon 66 which groups about 18 inches at 50 yards from a bench, scoped or not. I bought it new back in the early 1970s. Back then it misfired every 2 or 3rd round with weak, very faint, firing pin strikes, so it went into a closet and I got something else (equally horrible and soon sold) until I got a round tuit. Many years (i.e., decades), much knowledge and significant tool acquisition later, I found a round tuit and returned to the 66 and diagnosed the problem as a manufacturing defect inside the bolt firing pin arrangement, unbent and removed the pointy little pins holding the cheap stampings together, and widened the breech side of the firing pin slot length a little less than a 1/16 of an inch. Reassembly and testing showed the gun now was infallible and 100% reliable with any ammo, even mixed brands and types. For the first time in over 30 years accuracy testing was now possible. Can't begin to express my dismay at the 50 yard 18" group results. Words fail. The bore is clean and the crown is normal. Back in the safe it went and sits while I ponder. Makes me wonder about the whole Tom Frye thing.

Last edited by superc; 06-18-2010 at 04:29 AM. Reason: a word or 3

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2010, 04:54 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Back in the 80's we got a shipment of several hundred Chinese .22lr semi auto rifles in. They looked good and were smooth operating.

We were selling them for something like $59 and they were all steel and chu wood.

Then they started coming back and the owners were complaining about accuracy, so we took a few into the backroom range and they all keyholed at 50'. So we had our gunsmith busy all day re-crowning them and they were great after that.

If your 66 shoots that bad, I'd re-crown it. They are known shooters.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 06-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9133 Times on 3945 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

Military issue M16 rifle, firing 22 LR ammo (with adaptor) wrong bore size.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Huge +1 here. For a year or two the Air Force made us qualify with M-16s with these .22 adapters and it was EXTREMELY difficult to hit anything or fire more than 2 rounds consecutively without a jam...

Old 06-18-2010, 11:32 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Superc, try different ammo - each .22 rifle has it's preferences.

As far as my least accurate .22 rifle, it's my 2003 production Ruger 10-22 Rifle - the birch-stocked, 22" stainless barreled "WalMart Special" sold only in their stores. I don't care for the Ruger 10-22 to begin with, and only got it to be a 'new' benchmark to test my older .22 rifles against. They nearly all outshoot Bill Ruger's baby......

I have two Remington Nylon 66 rifles - the Apache Black and the Mohawk Brown. The Brown is the nicest conditionwise, but has feed issues on the first round - it must have the first round in the magazine chambered THEN the rest of the magazine filled or it jams. Accuracy is so-so - but beats the Ruger.
The Black is beat-up, the chrome pitted and scratched - but it shoots very well and functions flawlessly. It's '70s production vs. the '80s production Brown - maybe the machinery was worn by the '80s!?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:57 PM   #6
lkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Huge +1 here. For a year or two the Air Force made us qualify with M-16s with these .22 adapters and it was EXTREMELY difficult to hit anything or fire more than 2 rounds consecutively without a jam...
Whine all you want, I qualified "Expert" that way . Yeah, friggin miracle. To this day I'm sure it was either pure luck OR the people on either side of me were aiming at my target too (I'm a very good shot naturally, but, holy hannah, that firing setup was rigged worse than a carnival shooting alley)

Old 06-19-2010, 04:13 AM   #7

never seen or shot a bad 22 the neighbor had 66 with no front site and it still shot great

Old 06-19-2010, 04:53 AM   #8

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
theyre all .224 bullets. What was the bore measurement?

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 06-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #9

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Ref the helpful comments..
The gun was stored in a closet for 30+ years within a week of being purchased new in box. The crown is factory perfect. First thing I checked this decade after the horrid grouping after correcting the manufacturing defect in the bolt. This is a late 60s - early 70s vintage Mohawk Brown. I have tried a dozen brand of ammo and bullet weights since repairing the bolt. The gun doesn't care. It reliably feeds and fires (from any position) and randomly sprays them all. Once years ago I had a new Marlin 336 30-30 that shot equally horribly. Exam of the Marlin showed the front sight was loose in the dovetail and free to slide from side to side with every recoil. Fixing that eliminated the problem in the Marlin. That is not the case with my Nylon 66. The sights are fine. I have even tried mounting scopes twice. It sprays like a garden hose, scoped or not. My own thought was the torquing of the barrel to stock attaching screw is wrong, but someone else raised a good point. I never even considered barrel dimensions. I guess I should cerrosafe the barrel and mike the result. If I have an overbored 66, that would be a hoot.

Back in the day, Atchison was charging the USAF something like $1,000 for each drop in .22 LR converter for the AF AR-15s. Amusing to learn they were not as reliable or accurate as the old SOF article on them implied.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:56 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You might try the Paco Tool from Paco Kelly - it reforms and slightly expands the diameter of the .22LR bullet - some guys who have rifles that just'can't shoot a group' have had good results........

Also, have you checked the barrel attachment? Good and tight? Any removable barrel can have issues if it's loose in the receiver.