Most accurate factory .22LR? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Most accurate factory .22LR?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 02:05 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 31 Posts

Wow. Way out of my range for doing serious shooting with a .22. I just like seeing what i can get outta mine with bulk ammo. Im happy to be hitting a 1 x 1 target at 200 feet. Ive never been one to take my time at the range and just shoot at 25-50 yard targets. To me its boring and not a realization that if i ever needed to hunt or pop someone (in defense) that allowing an object to be 25-50 yards away seems to close. I go for at a minimum of 100 yards with my FV-SR. I like the challenge.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:13 AM   #52
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3194 Times on 2173 Posts
Likes Given: 696

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareebrownbeest
Wow. Way out of my range for doing serious shooting with a .22. I just like seeing what i can get outta mine with bulk ammo. Im happy to be hitting a 1 x 1 target at 200 feet. Ive never been one to take my time at the range and just shoot at 25-50 yard targets. To me its boring and not a realization that if i ever needed to hunt or pop someone (in defense) that allowing an object to be 25-50 yards away seems to close. I go for at a minimum of 100 yards with my FV-SR. I like the challenge.
It's out of most folks price range! I will eventually engage targets at 100 Yds. With both rifles,..but I'll need to add the TruGlo prismatic I have here for the 702 and I will put a more powerful traditional optic on the Ruger for my wife, who's eyes are worse then mine..
For anything over a Football field in distance, that's what I have Centerfires for....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 11-15-2013, 02:13 AM   #53

image-3014371932.jpg

image-1109144261.jpg

Good Rifle out of the box

Old 11-15-2013, 02:15 AM   #54
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3194 Times on 2173 Posts
Likes Given: 696

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareebrownbeest
Good Rifle out of the box
Liking the Bi-pod...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 11-15-2013, 02:16 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
It's out of most folks price range! I will eventually engage targets at 100 Yds. With both rifles,..but I'll need to add the TruGlo prismatic I have here for the 702 and I will put a more powerful traditional optic on the Ruger for my wife, who's eyes are worse then mine..
For anything over a Football field in distance, that's what I have Centerfires for....
I have a 30.06 that i have yet to get properly sighted. Not enough time for me and the range i go to is always crowded it seems.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:19 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball

Liking the Bi-pod...
Yeah thats my fun rifle. I have a 10/22 thats also scoped and very accurate "out of the box". I put a $40 bushnell scope on it and its flawless. Kinda boring its so easy to use ha ha.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:38 AM   #57

Liked 246 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Question (?) : What effect does barrel length have on accuracy in a .22 ?

The 10/22 that I have has a short barrel, a heavy trigger and if I shoot fast with high speed ammo, the stainless steel barrel heats up and tosses shots to the left . I use the stock bead & blade sights and don't set any records . I don't suppose I can use " combat accuracy " as an excuse this time .

Old 11-15-2013, 02:59 AM   #58

Liked 2218 Times on 1303 Posts
Likes Given: 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
Question (?) : What effect does barrel length have on accuracy in a .22 ?

The 10/22 that I have has a short barrel, a heavy trigger and if I shoot fast with high speed ammo, the stainless steel barrel heats up and tosses shots to the left . I use the stock bead & blade sights and don't set any records . I don't suppose I can use " combat accuracy " as an excuse this time .
The length of the barrel doesn't have a lot of effect on the mechanical accuracy the rifle is capable of. A shorter barrel of the same diameter is actually more rigid.

However, using open sights with a shorter barrel, also shortens your sight radius, which can make it harder to get the most accuracy out of the rifle.

With the 10/22 the way the barrel is mounted to the aluminum receiver can cause some problems as the gun heats up. With most center fire rifles people will try to free float the barrel to reduce influence of changing pressures against the barrel channel and changing harmonic vibration of the barrel as it heats up. With the 10/22, many owners find they are better off using a pressure pad in the barrel channel near the muzzle end to put some pressure in the barrel to keep it as consistent as possible. Some folks will actually glass bed the barrel channel and float the action, since it is made of aluminum and the opposite way would have the steel barrel suspended by the softer, lighter, aluminum receiver. Many owners also ditch their barrel band from the 10/22 also, or relieve it so that it doesn't actually touch the barrel and possibly influence the barrel as it heats up.

Ideally you want the barrel to have consistent pressure from cold shot to hot shots to prevent the walking you are describing.

I experimented with mine to find out it liked a pressure pad in the barrel channel toward the tip of the stock. Also, I relieved the barrel band so it wasn't touching the barrel.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:05 AM   #59

Liked 2218 Times on 1303 Posts
Likes Given: 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareebrownbeest View Post
It's not how I've spent the majority if my time with the 10/22, but it was a specific bit if experimenting I wanted to do to see just how much accuracy I could squeeze out of the stock parts. Finding the most accurate ammo was just one more variable in the experiment.

That 25 yd work, made longer shots at squirrels and rabbits more confident shots. It also gave a chance to practice those shooting fundamentals and drill my own shooting consistency into my own head.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:30 AM   #60

CZ452 bolt gun is very accurate and affordable.

Closed Thread