Most accurate factory .22LR? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Most accurate factory .22LR?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 01:23 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1079 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 710

All of that ^^^ sounds good, especially the last part.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:11 AM   #42

Liked 2384 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 532

When a out of the box 10/22 or Marlin 60 can do this consistently for 5 and 10 shot groups at 50 yards then we can keep recommending them.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:24 AM   #43

Here are the best 25 yd 5 shot groups I was able to coax out of my factory 10/22. But that's not out of the box. I partly bedded the barrel, worked the trigger and used a scope and fired from a bench and tried about 10 different match loads before I found the load that would do this.

Not quite as tight as the 50 yd groups above:

Old 11-14-2013, 02:44 AM   #44

Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
Here are the best 25 yd 5 shot groups I was able to coax out of my factory 10/22. But that's not out of the box. I partly bedded the barrel, worked the trigger and used a scope and fired from a bench and tried about 10 different match loads before I found the load that would do this. Not quite as tight as the 50 yd groups above:
What does the "RWS Target Rifle" written on there for?

That top picture group is great for 50 yards! What was the rifle and ammo used?

Old 11-14-2013, 02:52 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinLuke View Post
What does the "RWS Target Rifle" written on there for?

That top picture group is great for 50 yards! What was the rifle and ammo used?
RWS Target Rifle was the ammo used. I had also tried RWS Match, Wolf Match Target, Eley Match Rifle, Eley Target Rifle, Eley Target Pistol, and Federal Match, that I can remember. There were others, but I forget which ones.

The 50 yd target was from an Anschutz rifle using RWS Target Rifle ammo. Not my gun, and not my shooting.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 11-14-2013 at 02:55 AM.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #46

Liked 67 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
Here are the best 25 yd 5 shot groups I was able to coax out of my factory 10/22. But that's not out of the box. I partly bedded the barrel, worked the trigger and used a scope and fired from a bench and tried about 10 different match loads before I found the load that would do this.

Not quite as tight as the 50 yd groups above:
Just a question, were you aiming for the bulls eyes? Or were you trying to make all your shots in the same hole that your first bullet struck? Just wondered because you have great groups but none of the centers of the targets are hit.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareebrownbeest View Post
Just a question, were you aiming for the bulls eyes? Or were you trying to make all your shots in the same hole that your first bullet struck? Just wondered because you have great groups but none of the centers of the targets are hit.
It was really about testing ammo and getting the tightest groups. So, I wasn't changing the scope between loads. The crosshairs were held on the centers of the targets for all of the shots, because if I aimed at the first hole, the next shot would have been further off.

Once and accurate load is found and verified, then the scope can be adjusted. In this case I was testing several loads in one range session, so, adjusting the scope would have just burned up more ammo with no benefit, because each load had a slightly different point of impact.

The shots at the crosses in the center were done for the initial bolt-closing shot where the bolt was manually cycled, so that all of the "shots for record" were done with a more consistent cycling rate and pressure, because it was found that the manually cycled rounds would often be up to a quarter inch off from the rest of a group. (Another reason I advocate a bolt gun over semi-autos if you want the best possible accuracy since the bolt tension is more consistent for cartridge seating in the chamber.)

Wolf Match Target ammo was also very accurate in this test, and Eley Match Pistol grouped better out of my 10/22 than their Match Rifle ammo did.

Sitting down with several loads was pretty eye opening on how important finding the right load can be if you are seeking the absolute best accuracy out of your .22.

Also with a blowback .22 semi auto, groups could begin to open up as the breech area got dirty and the bolt was not seating as consistently. A bit of time with a brush in the chamber and breech are would have the groups right back. This was usually after a couple hundred rounds before it could be seen, and it was mostly because I was paying very carful attention to the accuracy for this test and isn't really so severe that it would be noticed in practical accuracy on informal targets or small game hunting.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 273 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
RWS Target Rifle was the ammo used. I had also tried RWS Match, Wolf Match Target, Eley Match Rifle, Eley Target Rifle, Eley Target Pistol, and Federal Match, that I can remember. There were others, but I forget which ones.

The 50 yd target was from an Anschutz rifle using RWS Target Rifle ammo. Not my gun, and not my shooting.
Damn, sounds like an expensive day ! last time I bought that much variety of high end ammo I was trying to find a load for my HS Victor and terrified that it would only like the super expensive fodder.

Unfortunately, the round it liked was PMC Target - went out of business and the Co didn't pass on the receipe. Making good 22 ammo is evidently alot harder than people realize. Part science, part art and takes time to get it right.

I still have some saved but now I have to go back to the drawing board. Before it was just expensive, now you can have the cash but no rounds to be found, let alone a variety of good stuff.

Your post reminded me of my 22 comp days. Our coach had an Olympic shooter come and talk to us. His offhand scores were almost equal to his prone. Never met anyone before who could actually "do" that. (Although, I've met alot of people in the bar who "claimed" they could.)
Old 11-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #49

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinLuke View Post
I wouldn't even believe that even if you said scoped. Bulk .22lr is not able to do that consistently.

I don't know why everyone is suggesting a 10-22 when the OP asked for the best accuracy out of the box. Dollar for dollar the 10-22 is not going to beat a well regarded bolt action. Not knocking the 10-22, it's a legend in it's own regard. Now if he had said the best accuracy out of the box semi-auto .22lr I can see people suggesting the 10-22. JMHO.
I honestly don't give a rats rear end what you believe. Your comment sounds more like a commentary on your shooting than mine.
I use almost exclusively Federal bulk ammo. I Bought a HUGE pile of it years ago so I'm still shooting it while others are crabbing they can't find it...again. I honestly can't remember when I last bought match grade ammo. It's had to have been at least 3-4 years though. I don't own a high dollar rim fire and shoot them a lot. I don't shoot in competitions other than the ones here on the farm with friends. It just made more sense to buy the ammo I did

I have nothing to gain form a lie on this forum but losing a reputation that I have built on for a few years while talking among several people I have a great deal of respect for. So your statement really makes no sense.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #50
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3358 Times on 2272 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Without everyone getting "Sore" at each other,..There are a few Semi's that are VERY close(I said very,..not better then)... The JARD 10/22 features a Match barrel(and runs about $600)and there is at least one other who's name & model escape me at the moment...I'm really coming to the belief that It's just as much the shooter, as it is the Ammo & the Gun used. My Mossberg 702 is just as accurate as a stock basic 10/22 if not slightly Better. I basically shoot the same groups with both Guns.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Closed Thread