Mossberg plinkster? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

Mossberg plinkster?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 358 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm looking at the 702, lest I was any ways. The gun shop sold out and I don't think that theyll have any in by the time I go to grab my girlfriend her first rifle. Wich is actually in about seven hours time. Haba

Old 12-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #22

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
You wont be shooting casings at 50 yds with the plinkster.
Although you couldn't, others can. Not sure what was wrong with your rifle but it sounds like needed some help. Also, if you're going to take cheap shots at something I post. The least you could do is get right. That was 25-yds w/casings. I think we hit the golf balls at 50, but they're 1.68 inches in dia. so it's really no great feat to hit one at that distance.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #23

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Out of all the inexpensive 22lr auto loaders on the market, the Marlin 795 or 60 are the best thing going. Hands down...the clear winner.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #24

Likes Given: 1

Default Here's what I think !

Hope you can give us more reports as I've looked at this 22 semi-auto rifle from Mossberg !

Old 12-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #25

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks7895 View Post
Out of all the inexpensive 22lr auto loaders on the market, the Marlin 795 or 60 are the best thing going. Hands down...the clear winner.
True, my 60 has been an excellent rifle. And I think Marlin still has the $25 mail in Rebate for the 795 if it's purchased by 12/31/2011.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpshooter
Hope you can give us more reports as I've looked at this 22 semi-auto rifle from Mossberg !

Pretty sure it wasn't the best of things to do, but the guy at the shop said it was oiled so figured I'd be alright to shoot a few round through it before cleaning.

Shot maybe 50ish and the first few shots seemed to "walk" across the bottom left of the paper. But I'm blaming that one on me since I was a little jumpy as its the first time I've shot in at least a year or two.

After I got the breaking point of the trigger figured out and wasn't so jumpy I was able to get some decent groups considering th barrel isnt broken in and I'm a fairly new shooter. Not going to post any groups just yet though.

As of right now I've got the gun cleaned and tucked away for the night, sadly. Only really problem I had while cleaning it was trying to get the bolt to go back into place since I was fighting with the spring and the bolt wanting to slide off what I'm calling the bolt carrier. Other then that, it's really simple to clean.....just not as simple as the bolt action I got for my girlfriend.

One last thing, for the people who seem to have an issue getting the magazine out, if you pull the bolt all the way back and lock it in place by pushing it in towards the stock (way the white arrow on charging handle shows) you shouldn't have a problem with it at all.
If you wondering why that makes it easier, it's because the magazines follower acts as the last shot hold open so the bolt is pushing on that part of the magazine making it tufted to take out.
image-2331907758.jpg   image-837233713.jpg   image-10470776.jpg  

Old 12-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #27

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
Pretty sure it wasn't the best of things to do, but the guy at the shop said it was oiled so figured I'd be alright to shoot a few round through it before cleaning.

Shot maybe 50ish and the first few shots seemed to "walk" across the bottom left of the paper. But I'm blaming that one on me since I was a little jumpy as its the first time I've shot in at least a year or two.
Shooting 50 rounds isn't going to hurt anything. My Marlin 60 went through about 1500 rounds before its first cleaning. I bought it, slapped a scope on it then hit the range/woods a few times. It was nasty inside when I cleaned the first time, three bricks of Remington Golden Bullets can leave behind a lot of junk. The rifle was still shooting dependably/accurately and the bore was not as bad as I thought it would be at its first cleaning.

Looking at the bolt assembly, recoil spring & guide and the charge handle (on You Tube) they really look a lot like the Marlin parts from the 60 and 795. And yes, the bolt, recoil spring and guide are a little tricky to get back in without bending the recoil spring. I've only bent mine once though, so far.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightExpress

Shooting 50 rounds isn't going to hurt anything. My Marlin 60 went through about 1500 rounds before its first cleaning. I bought it, slapped a scope on it then hit the range/woods a few times. It was nasty inside when I cleaned the first time, three bricks of Remington Golden Bullets can leave behind a lot of junk. The rifle was still shooting dependably/accurately and the bore was not as bad as I thought it would be at its first cleaning.

Looking at the bolt assembly, recoil spring & guide and the charge handle (on You Tube) they really look a lot like the Marlin parts from the 60 and 795. And yes, the bolt, recoil spring and guide are a little tricky to get back in without bending the recoil spring. I've only bent mine once though, so far.
I didn't think it would hurt it a while lot. Just always read that your supposed to clean and oil before shooting a new gun.

But man, it really is a pain in the ass trying to get it put back together after cleaning. Took me about a good hour to get it back together with out messing it all up.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:09 AM   #29

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
I didn't think it would hurt it a while lot. Just always read that your supposed to clean and oil before shooting a new gun.

But man, it really is a pain in the ass trying to get it put back together after cleaning. Took me about a good hour to get it back together with out messing it all up.
Reassembly gets easier with practice, it did on my Marlin. Even taking the 60's action assembly apart got easy once I found the right procedure and took it down a few times. Oddly enough I didn't bend my recoil spring until after I had taken the bolt out nearly a dozen times.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:36 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightExpress

Reassembly gets easier with practice, it did on my Marlin. Even taking the 60's action assembly apart got easy once I found the right procedure and took it down a few times. Oddly enough I didn't bend my recoil spring until after I had taken the bolt out nearly a dozen times.
I hope so man, because if it takes me that long just to get the bolt back in place, I'll do what a friend of mine does and never clean the dang thing until it starts having feeding/cycling issues.....okay, maybe not. But I'm guessing once I get used to cleaning firearms it should be good. This was just the first one I've ever cleaned.
Kind of surprised I never bent the bolt spring.