Mossberg plinkster? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Mossberg plinkster?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 357 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Haha if I had the money, I'd go with a 10/22 but I'm only looking for a mess around thing for now

Old 12-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
That's really all I'd be using this one for, as well as gophers when spring decides to roll back around again.

Just looking for something that I can go out and shoot with out my wallet wanting to keel over afterwards. Also think it'd be fun to have a semi-auto as well as a bolt action too.

But I've gotta ask this now, did he have the casings standing up or laying with the primers facing him?
They were standing up most of the time, I can only remember one time he had them on their side trying to shoot into the neck. We grazed several but didn't get but two or three into the case. We would shoot a quarters and bottle caps at 25-yds and a 4" wide x 6" tall steel plate set up at 100 and 150-yds.

The little Plinkster was great for casual shooting and plinking, but it would hunt squirrels and rabbits as well.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightExpress

They were standing up most of the time, I can only remember one time he had them on their side trying to shoot into the neck. We grazed several but didn't get but two or three into the case. We would shoot a quarters and bottle caps at 25-yds and a 4" wide x 6" tall steel plate set up at 100 and 150-yds.

The little Plinkster was great for casual shooting and plinking, but it would hunt squirrels and rabbits as well.

Damn, well I'll you guys the credit at least trying and by the sounds of it, some what succeeding in getting some rounds down the necks. Wouldn't mind going rabbit/gopher hunting though.

That's the craziest thing, for the long of times I never thought the .22LR would have enough power to even make 100yards, let alone do it accurately. Now that I'm actually looking into buying one, im in shock at how far some guys have hit (accurately) with them.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #14

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Did you check WalMart? They usually have them in stock. I bought mine at Dicks Sporting Goods.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54
Did you check WalMart? They usually have them in stock. I bought mine at Dicks Sporting Goods.
I never bother checking Walmart for any type of firearms since up here in Canada they only sells soft air/BB and pellet rifles. Only time time I'm in the sports section is if im looking at ammunition prices or buying some.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Damn, well I'll you guys the credit at least trying and by the sounds of it, some what succeeding in getting some rounds down the necks. Wouldn't mind going rabbit/gopher hunting though.

That's the craziest thing, for the long of times I never thought the .22LR would have enough power to even make 100yards, let alone do it accurately. Now that I'm actually looking into buying one, im in shock at how far some guys have hit (accurately) with them.
The little rifles are accurate with bulk ammo and get a little better with the right target grade rounds. Some will like one round and others will like something else. If I do my part the Marlin 60 can hold a 1" group at 100 yards with the Remington Golden Bullet bulk packs. I have some target grade stuff I need to try, see if I can get the group a bit smaller.

There were three of us shooting 22's back before the land was leased by a hunting club. The three rifles we used were the 702 Plinkster, a 10/22 and my Marlin 60. All had similar budget 3-9x40 scopes and we would hit that steel plate every time at 100 and 150, we just had to compensate for the drop at 150 with our scopes being sighted in at 100.

The pic below is a crude drawing of what we were doing, the Duplex reticle helped. I just used the the width change on the bottom crosshair as my elevation center. The little red dots are roughly where the bullets would strike with my scope zeroed at 100-yds. It's not to scale, the plate is actually smaller at 150 but it gives you an idea of what to expect.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

That's not all to bad for a .22 in my mind.
I don't think I'd be going out to quiet that far for a little bit though. I'm not even sure if I'm going to grab a scope until I got through a box or two of ammunition. Kind of like the idea of getting used to irons, that way if my scope brakes or I took it off for some reason and left it at the house I could still hit targets with some ease.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:38 AM   #18

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I paid $100 for mine, couldn;t hit the broad side of a barn with it, standing inside. Scoped or open it sucked. Sold it for $100 to another guy that couldnt hit anything with it. It wasn't the shooter. Find a nice used Remy 5teen and you won't be sorry. You wont be shooting casings at 50 yds with the plinkster.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:48 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Now that's what confuses me, one person could swear by a certai. Type of firearm while another swears to never buy that model again.....might just go with a shot gun haha

Old 12-24-2011, 06:14 AM   #20

I "have" one.
Are you considering a 702 or 802 Plinkster?

when I say I have one, Its merely because my daughter is too young to own it herself.
Ours is a good shooter, I like it.