Mossberg plinkster?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Mossberg plinkster?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 06:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Mossberg plinkster?

Alright, so I was at work and was asking around to see if anyone knew of an INEXPENSIVE not cheap .22 for just having some fun with and the plinkster came up.

Wasn't anything good said about it. But also wasn't from his experience with it. A co-workers cousin has one and claim he can't hit anything with it at all, but I've also heard stories about this guy not being able to hit his target with a .308 then the guy next to him picks up his rifle and can hi the target time and time again.

Long story short, anyone have anything good to say about the plinkster?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-21-2011, 03:37 PM   #2

Sooo....I'm guessing noone has anything to say about this one?

Old 12-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido
Sooo....I'm guessing noone has anything to say about this one?
I have shot one before and loved it! Its a great gun and for $100 you cant go wrong. Dont expect 10/22 quality. All in all its a good piece. If you get one let me know how it is. Im thinking of picking one up. You can also get mags all over-walmart, dicks, etc.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #4

Because I'm living in Canada everything is about $100.00 more then it would be just south of the border, so I'm looking at 180.00 before tax.

But I'm not looking for a tac driver, just something so me and y girl can go out shooting together with out having to keep passing the gun I'm buying her back and fourth.

But if I do end up grabbing it, I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #5

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have one and it's been very accurate with the sights and with a cheap Simmons scope on it. When new, I did have a feed problem which was cured by a light sanding and polishing the feed ramp. I do wish you could get a larger than 10 round cap mag though.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54
I have one and it's been very accurate with the sights and with a cheap Simmons scope on it. When new, I did have a feed problem which was cured by a light sanding and polishing the feed ramp. I do wish you could get a larger than 10 round cap mag though.
That ten round mag is probably going to get a little lame after a bit, but considering we've both never actually owned a rifle of our own, I think we'd get used to it.

Just glad to hear that you can indeed hit your intended target with it. As for scopes, I think it'll be a box or two of ammunition before either of us decide to drop one on either rifle since we both like a challenge and iron sights seem to offer a pretty good one at a distance.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Friend of mine had the 701 (semi-auto), it was an accurate little rifle and never gave him any trouble. With a cheap Tasco 3-9x40 he would shoot at spent 7mm-08 casings at 25 yards without missing one. He would line 3-5 of them up on a tree stump or log and shoot holes through them. It doesn't look like much, but it worked well when he owned it and was well worth the $100 he paid for it.

Last edited by MidnightExpress; 12-22-2011 at 07:00 AM.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightExpress
Friend of mine had the 701 (semi-auto), it was an accurate little rifle and never gave him any trouble. With a cheap Tasco 3-9x40 he would shoot at spent 7mm-08 casings at 25 yards without missing one. He would line 3-5 of them up on a tree stump or log and shoot holes through them. It doesn't look like much, but it worked well when he owned and was well worth the $100 he paid for it.
That's really all I'd be using this one for, as well as gophers when spring decides to roll back around again.

Just looking for something that I can go out and shoot with out my wallet wanting to keel over afterwards. Also think it'd be fun to have a semi-auto as well as a bolt action too.

But I've gotta ask this now, did he have the casings standing up or laying with the primers facing him?

Old 12-21-2011, 10:51 PM   #9

Well....it's gonna take me longer then I thought to gt the plinkster.
The only gun shop around me that carries them is sold out.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #10

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
Well....it's gonna take me longer then I thought to gt the plinkster.
The only gun shop around me that carries them is sold out.
Sounds like you know what to expect from it-
I had one & quickly sold it (only lost a couple bucks) but that was only because I kicked myself for not going ahead & buyin a 10-22
The friend that bought it was happy with it & we're still friends

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 12-21-2011 at 10:58 PM.