Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Mossberg plinkster? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/mossberg-plinkster-53916/)

kaido 12-21-2011 06:44 AM

Mossberg plinkster?

Alright, so I was at work and was asking around to see if anyone knew of an INEXPENSIVE not cheap .22 for just having some fun with and the plinkster came up.

Wasn't anything good said about it. But also wasn't from his experience with it. A co-workers cousin has one and claim he can't hit anything with it at all, but I've also heard stories about this guy not being able to hit his target with a .308 then the guy next to him picks up his rifle and can hi the target time and time again.

Long story short, anyone have anything good to say about the plinkster?

kaido 12-21-2011 03:37 PM

Sooo....I'm guessing noone has anything to say about this one?

Jon12312 12-21-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaido
Sooo....I'm guessing noone has anything to say about this one?

I have shot one before and loved it! Its a great gun and for $100 you cant go wrong. Dont expect 10/22 quality. All in all its a good piece. If you get one let me know how it is. Im thinking of picking one up. You can also get mags all over-walmart, dicks, etc.

kaido 12-21-2011 04:07 PM

Because I'm living in Canada everything is about $100.00 more then it would be just south of the border, so I'm looking at 180.00 before tax.

But I'm not looking for a tac driver, just something so me and y girl can go out shooting together with out having to keep passing the gun I'm buying her back and fourth.

But if I do end up grabbing it, I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Car54 12-21-2011 04:07 PM

I have one and it's been very accurate with the sights and with a cheap Simmons scope on it. When new, I did have a feed problem which was cured by a light sanding and polishing the feed ramp. I do wish you could get a larger than 10 round cap mag though.

kaido 12-21-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car54
I have one and it's been very accurate with the sights and with a cheap Simmons scope on it. When new, I did have a feed problem which was cured by a light sanding and polishing the feed ramp. I do wish you could get a larger than 10 round cap mag though.

That ten round mag is probably going to get a little lame after a bit, but considering we've both never actually owned a rifle of our own, I think we'd get used to it.

Just glad to hear that you can indeed hit your intended target with it. As for scopes, I think it'll be a box or two of ammunition before either of us decide to drop one on either rifle since we both like a challenge and iron sights seem to offer a pretty good one at a distance.

MidnightExpress 12-21-2011 05:28 PM

Friend of mine had the 701 (semi-auto), it was an accurate little rifle and never gave him any trouble. With a cheap Tasco 3-9x40 he would shoot at spent 7mm-08 casings at 25 yards without missing one. He would line 3-5 of them up on a tree stump or log and shoot holes through them. It doesn't look like much, but it worked well when he owned it and was well worth the $100 he paid for it.

kaido 12-21-2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidnightExpress
Friend of mine had the 701 (semi-auto), it was an accurate little rifle and never gave him any trouble. With a cheap Tasco 3-9x40 he would shoot at spent 7mm-08 casings at 25 yards without missing one. He would line 3-5 of them up on a tree stump or log and shoot holes through them. It doesn't look like much, but it worked well when he owned and was well worth the $100 he paid for it.

That's really all I'd be using this one for, as well as gophers when spring decides to roll back around again.

Just looking for something that I can go out and shoot with out my wallet wanting to keel over afterwards. Also think it'd be fun to have a semi-auto as well as a bolt action too.

But I've gotta ask this now, did he have the casings standing up or laying with the primers facing him?

kaido 12-21-2011 10:51 PM

Well....it's gonna take me longer then I thought to gt the plinkster.
The only gun shop around me that carries them is sold out.

HOSSFLY 12-21-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaido (Post 657196)
Well....it's gonna take me longer then I thought to gt the plinkster.
The only gun shop around me that carries them is sold out.

Sounds like you know what to expect from it-
I had one & quickly sold it (only lost a couple bucks) but that was only because I kicked myself for not going ahead & buyin a 10-22 :rolleyes:
The friend that bought it was happy with it & we're still friends :p