Mossberg 702 plinkster review
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Mossberg 702 plinkster review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 03:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Default Mossberg 702 plinkster review

I went out today and did a little shooting I took two of my guns out one is 702 the other was my stoeger p350 12 gauge.

The gun
>Synthetic stock
>10rd detachable mag
>Hooded post front sight w./ a short bull horn rear that flips down for use of a scope
>Dove tail railing machined into the top of the receiver
>18" Bull Barrel
> $135.00

I got my rifle with a blued finish but they also come in stainless and you can get them with a camo stock. I fired the gun from bench at 30 yards I removed the iron sights because I have problems seeing them my eyes arent that good and they're hard for me to see even with my glasses I mounted a 3X9 scope on it with some weaver scope mounts. At 30 yards after I sighted the rifle in I was getting groups from 3/4 to 1 1/2. I was shooting winchester xpert hv, 36gr coming out of the barrel at 1280fps.

The gun is really light, it's the type of gun that you could carry all day walking with no problem. The safety is located right in front of the trigger it a nice large button easy to find, and the mag release is real easy to use it's big and easy to hit with the thumb. The trigger pull is not match grade but it's not as bad as some guns it's predictable and doesn't have a lot of creep in it. The bolt can be pulled back and by pushing in the handle you can lock it back, also the mag catches the bolt when you empty the mag.

Here my problems with the gun, I don't like how the stock is designed it has a long length of pull (I'm not a small guy), and the grip feels odd like it's meant for a giant. You can fire the gun with gloves on but still it's uncomfortable feeling. Another thing that I'm not a big fan of is that the gun doesnt come with sling mounts, I know for some people it's not a big deal but when I'm hiking I like to be able to sling my rifle on my shoulder so my hands can be free enough to draw my side arm or catch myself.

Over all I like the gun, it works for me and what I do I would like to see a different stock for it but other then that it works.

Sorry that I don't have pics of the target my camera is acting up.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #2

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default Mossberg 702 plinkster review

I have sold them for Dicks in Leominster and Bass PRO in Ma. Not a bad .22 for the price. Had no complaints on the ones I sold! Enjoy. Cliff

Old 03-12-2013, 06:50 AM   #3

Thanks man, I love the gun haven't had any hickups with it. Just don't like a couple of things over all real nice gun.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 03-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Sounds like a nice firearm, what other 22 rifles do you have?

"When your goin through hell keep on going" Winston Churchill

Old 03-23-2013, 12:18 AM   #5

I have a mossberg and sons model 46 B(b) it was my grampas and then my dads and now mine. Good ol wood and steal gun bolt action still dead accurate.

BE PREPARED

Old 03-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #6

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I have had this model for several years. I enjoy shooting it and and have not had any problems with it either. However, it is tough to find accesories for (even before the drama of late). I would like to find a larger mag. ..haha or right now just a second mag. for it. Other than that, love the rifle.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #7

Liked 699 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 719

I bet if you tried ammo other then Xpert, it would shoot better. That is hands down the worst ammo in 4 different .22's. Best of luck w/ you new rifle.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #8

I'm plannin on it but that's all I have a lot of right now in the future hopefully I'll be able to go get some ammo with losing and arm or a leg.

BE PREPARED