Mossberg 702 Plinkster .22
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Mossberg 702 Plinkster .22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mossberg 702 Plinkster .22

I just bought a my Plinkster the other day and was wondering if there was any way to put a scope on it . If anyone knows or has any info regarding this subject please let me know.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8706 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

First, welcome to the forum. When you get a minute, stop over in the intro section and say howdy.

Does your new Mossy have two parallel lines on top of the reciever? Slightly undercut, and 3/8ths of an inch apart?

THOSE are for mounting a scope. There are rings made for a .22 that grip the edges of those two "dovetail" cuts. No drilling and tapping, you use a GOOD screwdriver to mount them. Even WalMart carries them.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 03-30-2011, 01:31 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Big, huge tip: Don't get a 50mm scope for it. It requires a high mount ring set, and they suck unless you pay good money for them. I'm telling you from personal experience. I have a mossy 702 literally 20ft from me and the scope has fallen off 4 times now. I'm sick of it!

I'm about to invest in some medium mount rings or go back to the low mount and hope I can get away with just removing the iron sights.

However, if you do get the scope to stick you can get TINY groups!!

Old 03-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamn View Post
I just bought a my Plinkster the other day and was wondering if there was any way to put a scope on it . If anyone knows or has any info regarding this subject please let me know.
You should have a 3/8 dovetail cut or cast into the receiver as C3 mentioned. The mount below will get you a 45mm objective scope mounted without a problem.

Leapers Accushot 1-Pc Mount w/1" Rings, 3/8" Dovetail. SCOPE MOUNTS.

victorzamora, the high profile mount below should fix your scope issue and allow you to keep your 50mm objective, it says 11mm dovetail but it will fit the 3/8 too. I had a problem with keeping the scope on my Marlin 60 in place and this mount cured it.

Leapers Accushot 1-Pc Mount w/1" Rings, High, 11mm Dovetail. SCOPE MOUNTS.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:49 AM   #5

I have the same rifle and put a 3x-7x BSA scope from Natchez ($20.00) on it. I initially set it up with a boresight and had it sighted dead on in about 15 minutes. My wife who has limited experience with firearms is hitting 1.5" spinny targets at 50 yards better than 90% of the time. The only problem I've had with this weapon is that the magazine sucks. I have the original mag and a new one I purchased separately and they both have problems feeding reliably if you load more than 6 rounds. The follower jams inside the mag and it deforms over time from holding the bolt when the mag is empty. I looked at the 802 (bolt action) magazine which has a more stable follower and will work on the 702 but will not hold the bolt open when the mag is empty, which is really not a problem. I am going to pick up a couple 802 mags at the next show in Raleigh unless I come across one locally first. Seem to be hard to come by, no one stocks them.

Please let me know how you're making out with your Plinkster and if you have a similar problem with the mag. (misfeed, stovepipe etc.)

Old 04-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamn View Post
My 702 plinkster came with the scope. I never use it, I have more fun without it.